[Libs-Or] Apply to host a space, earth science or technology exhibition at your public library

Suzanne Sager bvss at pdx.edu
Mon Jul 13 14:49:42 PDT 2015

Hello! I’m writing to share another grant opportunity that may be of
interest to public libraries in your area.

Three traveling exhibitions are available – *Explore Earth: Our Changing
Planet, Explore Space: Our Solar System and Beyon*d, and *Explore Tech:
Engineers Make a World of Difference*. Each requires only 200 square feet
of display space, making them a good choice for small libraries or those
without much extra space.

Please let me know if you have questions or visit
http://apply.ala.org/STARNet-Explore. Thanks!

**************

*Apply to host a space, earth science or technology exhibition at your
public library*

The American Library Association (ALA) Public Programs Office, in
collaboration with the Space Science Institute’s *National Center for
Interactive Learning*, the Lunar and Planetary Institute and the
Afterschool Alliance, invites public libraries to apply to host one of
three science- and technology-focused traveling exhibitions.

The exhibitions — which are ideal for small libraries, requiring only 200
square feet of display space — are designed to promote STEM (science,
technology, engineering and math) learning opportunities for all ages.

Applicants may apply for one of the following exhibitions:

-        *Explore Earth**:* *Our Changing Planet* will focus on local earth
science topics — such as weather, the water cycle and ecosystem changes —
as well as a global view of our changing planet. The primary message of the
exhibition is that the global environment changes — and is changed by — the
local environment of all host communities.

*-        **Explore Space:* *Our Solar System and Beyond* helps visitors
answer the age-old questions: Where did we come from, and are we alone? The
exhibition will teach audiences about our universe, including how stars and
planetary systems form and the role that gravity plays in our universe.

-        *Explore Tech*:* Engineers Make a World of Difference* shows how
engineering provides solutions to better meet human needs and develops
sustainable innovations for the future. It features hands-on and multimedia
components that allow exhibit visitors to interact with content in a
dynamic way, encouraging new perspectives about engineers and their vital
work.

Full guidelines and an online application are available at
<http://apply.ala.org/STARNet-Explore>*http://apply.ala.org/STARNet-Explore
<http://apply.ala.org/STARNet-Explore>*. The application deadline is Sept.
18, 2015. Each exhibition will travel to 13 or 14 public libraries from
2016 to 2018.

All grantees will receive:

-        one exhibition for an eight-week display period; shipping is free
for grantees;

-        a cash grant of $1,000 to cover the cost of public programming
related to the exhibition;

-        a publicity kit and media resources for a STEM @ My Library public
engagement campaign;

-        an orientation webinar that will include information about content
and science themes, a presentation and demonstration of hands-on science
activities by the Lunar and Planetary Institute, and presentations and
interactive discussions about programming resources;

-        periodic webinars on timely STEM topics to support programming in
libraries;

-        an *Explore* teacher guide, family guide and hands-on activities
for different age groups to help libraries develop programs and support
classroom visits; and

-        access to the STAR_Net Online Community and a national network of
STEM-oriented organizations.

Grantees will be required to plan public programs related to the exhibition
and to participate in the STAR_Net Online Community throughout the
exhibition period.

*The Explore* exhibitions are made possible through the support of the
National Science Foundation. The exhibition and its educational support
materials and outreach opportunities are part of the STAR
(Science-Technology Activities and Resources) Library Education Network
(STAR_Net), a hands-on learning program for libraries and their communities
developed by the *National Center for Interactive Learning* at the Space
Science Institute. For more information, visit www.STARnetLibraries.org
<http://www.starnetlibraries.org/>.

Sarah Ostman

Communications Manager