[Libs-Or] New LIS Book to Borrow from OSL => Guide to Online Searching: Cultivating Database Skills

Jennifer Maurer jennifer.maurer at state.or.us
Wed Jul 15 17:29:46 PDT 2015

If you’re new to online searching or to using library databases, or if you want some tips for how to evaluate a database for potential purchase, this book offers excellent, easy-to-understand information to get you up to speed. Check the end of this email for instructions on how to borrow materials from the State Library. It's easy!

[OnlineSearching.JPG]

Bell, Suzanne. Librarian's Guide to Online Searching: Cultivating Database Skills for Research and Instruction. 4th ed. Santa Barbara, CA:
Libraries Unlimited, 2015. ISBN: 978-1-61069-998-3
Publisher's Description
This groundbreaking textbook and guide for library school students and librarians will help you—regardless of experience level or environment—learn the ins and outs
of working with online databases, the best tactics for effective research online, and the methods for conveying these search skills to others.
Experienced librarian and instructor Suzanne S. Bell presents methods for effectively searching across disciplines and interfaces in this updated guide, the first edition
of which was a pioneer in the field of online research and methodology. Extensively revised and updated throughout with additional features, fresh content,
and the latest in web-based resources, the book focuses on… [read more at http://osl-lis.blogspot.com/2015/07/librarians-guide-to-online-searching.html]

If you would like to request these or other materials from the Oregon State Library, please use your library's established interlibrary loan process (e.g. OCLC or ALA request form). Otherwise, send your full name, the name of your library, complete title information, shipping address, and a phone number to the document delivery department at library.request at state.or.us<mailto:library.request at state.or.us> or (fax) 503-588-7119. Items will be checked out to your library, not to you personally, for 4 weeks (print materials) or 2 weeks (videos). Materials will be delivered via mail or Orbis Cascade Alliance Courier, and you may return them the same way. Normally a single copy is purchased and is loaned on a first-come-first-served basis. You may be put on a hold list for several weeks.

Most library staff are able to use their library’s interlibrary loan service to borrow professional development material. However, if you do not have access to these services or are not currently affiliated with a library, please contact me to discuss alternative options for borrowing the material.

Be sure to check out our Library and Information Science (LIS) blog<http://osl-lis.blogspot.com/> to discover the most recent additions to our LIS collection and search our catalog<https://ccrls.ent.sirsi.net/client/en_US/oslpublic/> for our complete holdings. The library science collection is meant to support the whole Oregon library community. Library Support welcomes your suggestions for acquisitions. See the blog for an input form or email us.

This collection is supported in whole by the Institute of Museum and Library Services through the Library Services and Technology Act, administered by the Oregon State Library.

Thanks,
Jen

Jennifer Maurer
School Library Consultant