[Libs-Or] Tapes and your library

Christopher Rumbaugh crumbaugh at cityofsalem.net
Tue Jul 28 13:08:00 PDT 2015

We have been out of the tape business for some time now. I'd actually caution those that still have any circulating - in that old tape media breaks down significantly, especially with the kind of use it may have seen in a public library. This is manifest by icky, clogging gunk on playback heads and pinch rollers in a patron's player. VHS are the worst, but audio tapes are not much better.

Moving patrons beyond tape is not that difficult and if you feel so inclined, cassette audio converters (that feature a stereo 1/8 plug, compatible with iPod/iPad, Playaway and portable CD players) are only a couple of dollars.

Christopher D. Rumbaugh

Adult Services Manager
Salem Public Library
crumbaugh at cityofsalem.net