[Libs-Or] Classification Scheme for your staff Computer Files?

Adam Carlson Adam.Carlson at ci.mcminnville.or.us
Mon May 4 11:49:49 PDT 2015

Hello,

Our library has a shared networked drive for staff. It includes thousands of files that we all use and share with each other. It is, however, in need of better organization. We often times find ourselves searching high and low for a file that we know is on the shared drive, but we cannot find. Or we end up finding multiple versions of the same file in different locations.

At a staff meeting the other day we were recognizing that we need to try to come up with a better way of organizing staff files. Librarians should be great at coming up with a "classification scheme" for this.

We will, of course, be brainstorming and researching this. But we thought we would ask all of you.  Do you have any ideas on good ways to organize staff files? Are there ways that have worked well or not for you in the past? Are there file naming conventions you have used that help? Has this topic been covered in previous posts? Are there any articles or websites you would recommend on this topic?

Thank you for any ideas you might have,

Adam Carlson
Circulation Supervisor
McMinnville Public Library