[Libs-Or] Face-out shelving for easy readers / graded ESOL readers?

David Brown greenlionrampant at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 15:27:29 PST 2015

I have all my books for easy or lower level readers set in bins facing out.
Since I am in a school these books see a huge amount of use so sorting is
really not high on my list of things to do. But since most of my books are
either already labeled with a number (1,2,3), they are separated as such or
by their overall subject, i.e., super heroes, Curious George, Leap Frog,
etc. I purchase big tubs and set the books facing out. Preschool, kinders,
and first graders all have at the bins, and then I just loosely sort them
back into place everyday. I trust the kids to make the best choices for
themselves. We also try to work with them on the Five Finger Rule for
selecting a book.

David Adkins-Brown
adkinsbr at usc.edu
greenlionrampant at gmail.com

"As my dear departed friend Lotus Weinstock used to say: "I used to wanna
change the world. Now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity." "
- Justin Bond