[Libs-Or] Fwd: [alacro-l] Support the effective school library provisions found in Senate Bill S. 1177

Suzanne Sager bvss at pdx.edu
Wed Sep 2 08:02:57 PDT 2015

FYI,

Suzanne L. Sager

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Don Wood <dwood at ala.org>
Date: Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 7:38 AM
Subject: [alacro-l] Support the effective school library provisions found
in Senate Bill S. 1177
To: "alacro-l at lists.ala.org" <alacro-l at lists.ala.org>

As you may have read here
<http://www.districtdispatch.org/2015/07/victory-for-school-libraries-as-senate-passes-education-bill/>,
school libraries are well represented in S. 1177, the Every Child Achieves
Act <https://www.congress.gov/114/bills/s1177/BILLS-114s1177es.pdf>.  In
fact, we were more successful with this bill than we have been in recent
history and this is largely due to your efforts in contacting Congress.

Currently, the House Committee on Education and Workforce (H.R. 5, the
Student Success Act
<https://www.congress.gov/114/bills/hr5/BILLS-114hr5eh.pdf>) and the Senate
Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions are preparing to go to
“conference” in an attempt to work out differences between the two versions
of the legislation and reach agreement on reauthorization of ESEA. ALA is
encouraged that provisions included under S. 1177, would support effective
school library programs. In particular, ALA is pleased that effective
school library program provisions were adopted unanimously during HELP
Committee consideration of an amendment offered by Senator Whitehouse
(D-RI)) and on the Senate floor with an amendment offered by Senators Reed
(D-RI) and Cochran (R-MS).

ALA is asking (with your help!) that any conference agreement to
reauthorize ESEA maintain the following provisions that were overwhelmingly
adopted by the HELP Committee and the full Senate under S. 1177, the Every
Child Achieves Act:

   1. Title V, Part H – Literacy and Arts Education – Authorizes activities
   to promote literacy programs that support the development of literacy
   skills in low-income communities (similar to the Innovative Approaches to
   Literacy program that has been funded through appropriations) as well as
   activities to promote arts education for disadvantaged students.
   2. Title I – Improving Basic Programs Operated by State and Local
   Educational Agencies – Under Title I of ESEA, State Educational Agencies
   (SEAs) and local educational agencies (LEAs) must develop plans on how they
   will implement activities funded under the Act.
   3. Title V, Part G – Innovative Technology Expands Children’s Horizons
   (I-TECH) – Authorizes activities to ensure all students have access to
   personalized, rigorous learning experiences that are supported through
   technology and to ensure that educators have the knowledge and skills to
   use technology to personalize learning.

Now is the time to keep the momentum going! Contact your Senators and
Representative <http://cqrcengage.com/ala/home>to let them know that you
support the effective school library provisions found in the Senate bill
and they should too!

A complete list of school library provisions found in S.1177 can be found
here.
<http://www.districtdispatch.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/ALA-ESEA-Conference-Alert-8-13-15.docx>

Don Wood
Program Officer
Chapter Relations Office
<http://www.ala.org/ala/aboutala/offices/cro/index.cfm>
American Library Association
50 East Huron Street
Chicago, IL 60611
dwood at ala.org
1-800-545-2433, ext. 2429; 312-280-2429
312-280-4392 (fax)
Become a Fan of ALA Chapters <https://www.facebook.com/ALAChapters>

Follow CRO on Twitter <http://twitter.com/ALA_CRO>

Take Action for America’s Libraries <http://cqrcengage.com/ala/home>

“Example is not the main thing in influencing others. It is the only
thing.”—Albert Schweitzer

If you no longer wish to receive information via this e-list, here are the
instructions on how to unsubscribe:

UNSUBSCRIBE INSTRUCTIONS:
* Go to http://lists.ala.org/sympa/info/alacro-l
* Log in on this page; first time users will need to get a password by
following instructions
* Choose Unsubscribe from the left-hand column and follow instructions

--
Suzanne L. Sager
Oregon ALA Representative

Phone: 503-725-8169