[Libs-Or] Questions about "Internet Only" cards and internet guest passes

Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney kbrodbeck-kenney at lincolncity.org
Sun Sep 6 13:04:25 PDT 2015

We give guest passes to anyone who asks, no ID required. A couple years ago we set it up so that if they have a library card -- even a temporary one -- they can get a full hour on the computers. Guest passes only allow for 30 minutes. This prompted some of our regulars who previously didn't want to get a card to get one, so that they could have more time, but still allows for visitors and people who don't want to have a card to use the computers.

We used to ask for ID, but it was time-consuming for staff and patrons alike, and felt intrusive. It also discouraged people who didn't have ID from even asking to use the computers. It was one of the first things I eliminated when I became director, and no one has missed it.

Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney, MLIS
Library Director
Driftwood Public Library
801 SW Hwy 101, #201
Lincoln City, OR 97367
541-996-1251 (desk)
541-996-1262 (fax)
www.driftwoodlib.org
>>> Sheryl Eldridge <sheryl at newportlibrary.org> 09/04/15 5:10 PM >>>
  Hi,

 We use Envisionware to manage Internet use, and currently are offering "Internet Only" cards for people who use our computers, but either don't want to apply for a full card, or can't, because they do not have identification or a local address.

 We also give guest passes for the Internet to visitors, although many who request a pass are people who come regularly and decline the offer of an "Internet Only" card.

 Up until now, we have not asked for ID from people in either situation.  Some of our staff would like to ask for ID, so we can verify who we give cards to, and put a name to the face of someone if there is a problem.  But we don't want to keep from giving internet  access to people without ID.

 Can anyone share how this is handled in your library?