[Libs-Or] 2016 OLA Next Week!

Thompson, Sara Q thomsara at oregonstate.edu
Thu Apr 14 11:15:32 PDT 2016

How’s that song go? Tomorrow from Annie? “O-L-A! O-L-A! I love ya, OLA.
You’re only a week away!”

And with that earworm firmly placed, here are some handy tips and reminders
for your conference experience:

Conference Program and Sharing

Do you have your sessions all picked out yet? No? We have such a great
line-up, it is understandably hard to choose.  Sign up for a Sched account
<http://orlib16.sched.org/> and customize your schedule. Then use the Sched
site on your mobile device <http://orlib16.sched.org/mobile> to keep track
of where to be and when. How cool is that? We will also be selling tickets
to the President’s Party on site at the Registration Desk till 5 pm on
Thursday in case your groove doesn't hit you till you're in Bend (it's been
known to happen).

If you’re presenting at OLA, tell everyone how great your session will be
using #ORLib16
<https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=%23ORLib16&src=typd>
on Twitter and Instagram. We’ll be posting updates and tips there, as well.

Streaming Awards Ceremony

For anyone who couldn't make it to the 2016 Oregon Library Association
Conference, we will be experimenting with streaming the Awards event so you
can celebrate your colleagues from the comfort of your home library. This
is our first time trying this so there might be cats photobombing or
cameras falling, who knows. Watch on Friday, April 22nd 12:30 pm on Google+
<https://plus.google.com/events/claum4vv93cel4g6lhnumooa9u0> or YouTube
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In7dlz3UcAE>.

Weather & Packing List

Next week’s forecast for Bend is calling for beautiful 70 degree days but
with chilly 40 degree mornings and some wind. That’s right -- bring layers.
All the layers. Plan on being cold and hot and anything in between.

Packing list:

   -

   all the layers,
   -

   sunglasses (no really, the sun is somehow brighter here),
   -

   swimsuit (Riverhouse’s indoor and outdoor pools will be open next week
   for room guests; sauna will not be open yet.)
   -

   a reusable water bottle (only 30% humidity out here in the high desert),
   -

   your business cards,
   -

   charging cables for your devices,
   -

   a notepad and pen,
   -

   snacks!
   -

   and a handy tote bag (if you don’t have tote bags, well, buddy, have I
   got a deal for you …).

Riverhouse Update & Restaurants

The Riverhouse has been undergoing lots of exciting renovations this year
to the hotel. The good news is - that means brand new sparkling guest
rooms! The bad news is - the restaurant won’t be finished until May. Our
conference lunches and dinners will still be happening at the convention
center, but for any other snacks or meals, you’ll need to either bring some
food with you or check out the many cafes, restaurants and brewpubs. Use
the search feature of the Where To Eat Guide
<https://theeatguide.com/directory?address=Bend%2C%20OR%2C%20United%20States&category=0&center=44.058173%2C-121.31531&zoom=15&is_mile=0&directory_radius=0&view=list&sort=newest&filter=1&voting_rating=0>.
Sadly, the Riverhouse location is not exactly walking distance to much of
interest. There is a Natural Grocers
<https://www.naturalgrocers.com/store-location/bend/> across the street.

For Thursday night, remember to check the message board at the OLA
Registration Desk for group dinners and destinations. We will have a conference
shuttle
<https://orlib16.wordpress.com/2016/03/08/announcing-conference-shuttle/>
leaving from the convention center at regular intervals heading to downtown
and the Old Mill.

Resumes, Mentors, & Buddies

If you don’t already subscribe to Libs-OR, check out the archives
<http://listsmart.osl.state.or.us/pipermail/libs-or/> for information on
getting your resume reviewed, meeting up with a mentor, or getting a
conference buddy.

Exhibits, Prizes, and Goodies

   -

   Emporia State University will hold an “Alumni and Friends Reception” on
   Thursday, April 21st from 5:30-7:00 pm.  Please stop by their booth (booth
   1) in the vendor area for the location.

   -

   Please stop by the McGraw-Hill booth (booth 28) for a chance to learn
   about AccessScience, AccessEngineering and the McGraw-Hill eBook library,
   and while you’re there enter the drawing to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!

   -

   Stop by the Online LiS Degree Programs @ SFCC booth (booth 11). Discover
   degree programs for current and future library staff and discounted options
   for current library employees. Sign up for the Sasquatch drawing on Friday!

   -

   The Oregon Documents Depository (booth 20) will have coloring pages.

   -

   Visit the CCI Solutions booth (booth 29) for free library cases and for
   a chance to win an iPad mini!

   -

   Stop by the ABDO booth (booth 10) to see what’s new and take a picture
   with Darth Vader (don’t forget to Tweet your pictures to @ABDOpublishing)!
   While you’re there, be sure to grab an ABDO bag of catalogs and enter
   drawings to win the popular cardboard stand-up of Darth Vader or an ABDO
   bag full of books. We look forward to seeing you!