[Libs-Or] Shakespeare Festival's Censorship

Tony tony_greiner at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 15 10:51:41 PDT 2016

I hope that the Intellectual Freedom Committee decides to get more involved in opposing the Oregon Shakeseare Festival's boycott of a small bookstore in Ashland for its Banned Book Display than just supporting the local library.  OSF is an organization of influence well beyond Ashland, and its actions call for a statewide response.

I have attended plays in Ashland for the last 10 years, and enjoyed them very much.  However, I have sent a letter to Bill Rauch of Cynthia Rider of OSF, letting them know that I will not attend in the future if they do not recognize that they behaved poorly.  Of what value are principals if you don't exercise them when they are not inconvenient.

Here is the letter I sent today:
Bill Rauch
Cynthia Rider
Oregon Shakespeare Festival
15 S. Pioneer St
Ashland OR 97520

I was distressed to learn of Ms. Rider's recent efforts to impose a boycott of "Shakespeare Books and Antiques" , and Mr. Rauch's apparent support for this action. What an ironic response you have chosen to make to a banned books display.  Instead of championing free speech, you have chosen to attack it, and use the clout of the festival to try to silence a diverse voice.  Diversity isn't just skin color...it is thinking differently, acting differently.  The bookstore chose to point out that powerful groups try to silence those they disagree with. Now the OSF has joined those that are afraid other's voices.

I have been part of a group that has traveled every summer to Ashland for the past 10 years, spending a weekend at the Columbia Hotel, and attending many plays.  It is something I have enjoyed and looked forward to since our first trip.  However, your actions have put me in a situation that of having to abandon that trip.  I am opposed to censorship, and dislike bullies. If I were to continue to attend the festival and purchase tickets, then I would be saying "it's okay for OSF to throw its considerable weight around to silence those who make it uncomfortable."

Please reconsider your actions.  Sometimes good intentions have bad consequences, and this is one of those times.  For now, shame on you.

Tony Greiner

Cc: Columbia Hotel, Ashland; Shakespeare Books

Primo and Alma: Making WorldCat Local Look Good
**tony_greiner at hotmail.com**