[Libs-Or] FW: WCCLS Announces Grand Opening of Aloha Community Library - Media Release

Eva Calcagno Calcagno at wccls.org
Thu Dec 29 15:50:59 PST 2016

Happy New Year! It is with pleasure that I welcome the new year and a new library to Washington County and the Oregon library community.  If you are able, we would be delighted if you could attend the Grand Opening of the Aloha community Library, the newest member of WCCLS.  See details below!

Eva Calcagno, Director
Washington County Cooperative Library Services
(503)846-3233
www.wccls.org<http://www.wccls.org>

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D21331.D0218A70]

FOR RELEASE
Date: December 26, 2016

Contact:
Jodi Nielsen, Senior Program Educator, Washington County Cooperative Library Services
503-846-3235

Terri Palmer, Director, Aloha Community Library
503-259-0185

WCCLS Announces Grand Opening of Aloha Community Library
Saturday, January 7, 2017

Washington County, Oregon: The Washington County Cooperative Library Services (WCCLS) is pleased to announce the Grand Opening Celebration for the Aloha Community Library on Saturday, January 7, 2017 from 11 a.m. - 2 p.m. The library will host local residents, library volunteers, sponsors and community dignitaries for a ribbon cutting and reception. The Library staff and board members will provide tours of the new library (at 17455 SW Farmington Road, Suite 26A) and visitors will enjoy refreshments, complimentary commemorative items and several prizes donated by fellow WCCLS member libraries will be awarded in a drawing.

Eva Calcagno, WCCLS Director remarked, "WCCLS eagerly awaits the opening of the Aloha Community Library. This 16th full-service public library fills a gap in service in the center of the County and will serve an anticipated 19,000 residents with books, programs, homework assistance and computer services."

The new Aloha Community Library location offers residents:
*         A 30% increase in open hours - now open 6-days a week for 47 hours per week
*         Four times the space - including significantly expanded public and staff areas
*         Increased computer access for the public - up to 14 stations (this doubles prior access) plus free Wi-Fi access
*         Integration with the WCCLS.org website and catalog
*         Access to the Cooperative's shared collection of over 1.6 million books, e-books, CD's, DVD's and more
*         Convenient local hold pick-up and drop-off location for WCCLS items in the heart of Washington County
*         Free and convenient access to the WCCLS Cultural Pass to Adventure venues - 9 popular destinations
*         More robust program offerings for children and adults

Founded in 2011, the non-profit Aloha Community Library Association (ACLA) has established a tradition of working with members of the community to build an institution that grows and adapts to meet the needs of their patrons. According to the Aloha Community Library Director Terri Palmer, "the role of our library is to provide equal access to information, technology, community resources, quality programming, and learning opportunities for all who enter our doors. We work to remove barriers for those who need a safe place to search for jobs, study, apply for public assistance, learn computer skills, or just sit in a dry, warm place to pass the time." Thanks to tremendous community efforts and the passage of the WCCLS Measure 34-235 in November 2015, the ACLA became the newest member of Washington County Cooperative Library Services (WCCLS) in July, 2016.

According to Ellen Mickanin, President, Board of Directors of the Aloha Community Library Association, "in order to provide the library services expected of a WCCLS member library, the ACLA collaborated with the owner of the previous library location to relocate to a larger space in the same shopping mall in Aloha, Oregon. The ACLA Board has undertaken a capital campaign "Build - Move - Thrive" in order to privately raise $370,000 to build out Phase I for the new library location. The Phase 1 renovation process began in early 2016.  "We invite the community to join in the celebration on January 7 and become frequent visitors to the expanded Aloha Community Library in the weeks and months to follow."

To-date, the following funds have been secured in support of the Phase I construction costs to allow the Aloha Community Library to open as a full-service WCCLS member library: a $100,000 grant from Washington County Board of Commissioners, $75,000 from individual and local business donations, $25,000 grant from the Collins Foundation, $25,000 from the Reser Foundation, $25,000 from the Oregon Community Foundation, $12,000 from the Juan Young Trust, $7,500 gift from Commissioner Dick Schouten, $5,000 gift from David and Christine Vernier and in-kind donations of furniture and shelving from Nike and Pacific University valued at $25,000.

The Washington County Cooperative Library Services (WCCLS), includes the: Aloha Community Library, Banks Public Library, Beaverton City Library, Beaverton City Library @ Murray Scholls, Cedar Mill Community Library, Cedar Mill Community Library @ Bethany, Cornelius Public Library, Forest Grove City Library, Garden Home Community Library, Hillsboro Public Libraries (Main and Shute Park), North Plains Public Library, Sherwood Public Library, Tigard Public Library, Tualatin Public Library, and West Slope Community Library.
# # #