[Libs-Or] Fwd: [alacoun] Don’t hack the Constitution, ALA stands with Apple

Suzanne Sager bvss at pdx.edu
Thu Feb 18 12:18:05 PST 2016

FYI,

Suzanne L. Sager

-----Original Message-----
From: Aaron W. Dobbs <aaron at thelibrarian.org>
To: ALA Council List <alacoun at lists.ala.org>
Sent: Thu, Feb 18, 2016 8:57 am
Subject: [alacoun] Don’t hack the Constitution, ALA stands with Apple

In case you missed the recent news about Apple's statement opposing a court
order to develop software to backdoor into iPhones (and other iOS devices)
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/18/technology/apple-timothy-cook-fbi-san-bernardino.html

ALA has come out in support of Apple's statement and made a timely *and
correct* call:

"The only thing that could make last December’s attack in San Bernardino
more horrible would be its use to profoundly erode the Constitution’s
protection of our fundamental freedoms. Man­dated 'back doors' into
encrypted systems cannot successfully be labelled 'Bad Guys Keep Out.'  The
only way to protect our data and, ultimately, our freedom is to fight any
attempt by the courts and Congress to hack the Constitution.  ALA stands
with Apple."
http://www.ala.org/news/press-releases/2016/02/ala-don-t-hack-constitution-ala-stands-apple

-Aaron
:-)'