[Libs-Or] Dealing with downloaders

Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney kbrodbeck-kenney at lincolncity.org
Tue Jan 5 10:10:39 PST 2016

I would say it's similar to how one chooses to deal with copyright violations and copy machines; egregious abuse probably deserves a reminder about copyright law.

We've had people setting up camp with their laptops and audiobooks here in the past, a handful of times. My usual tactic is to say something like, "Excuse me, but if you are copying our audiobooks, what you are doing is a violation of copyright. Once you check these items out and take them home, what you do with them is your choice, but I can't allow you to engage in this in the library."

We haven't put stickers on any of our items because it just seems like a lot of work for a few offenders.

Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney, MLIS
Library Director
Driftwood Public Library
801 SW Hwy 101, #201
Lincoln City, OR 97367
541-996-1251 (desk)
541-996-1262 (fax)
www.driftwoodlib.org
 >>> Carol Dinges <cdinges at ci.lebanon.or.us> 1/5/2016 6:02 AM >>>
It's unlikely that someone is just listening to a dozen or more audiobooks (without using headphones) in an afternoon - it's pretty obvious.  However, I like the idea of stickers on the cases.
Carol

Carol Dinges
Library Director