[Libs-Or] Willamette Writers Meeting Announcement

WilWrite wilwrite at willamettewriters.com
Fri Jun 3 14:15:35 PDT 2016

According to Portland author Natalie Serber, whether you’re writing
memoir or personal essay, we strive to make something beautiful from our
experiences.  In telling our stories we reach for those instances when
the spark leaps from personal to universal and the reader says, “Yes!
It’s the same for me.” Those are the moments when the reader feels
connected to the writer, she feels known.  How can we make this swift
leap happen more in our creative nonfiction?

In this talk, we’ll look at the duality of the first person pronoun, the
primary “I” who tells the story of remembered events, and the secondary
“I” who tells the story of the writer’s thinking. Exploring the point of
view of the secondary “I,” the narrator who speaks from the present,
reflecting and seeking, trying to make sense of the past, forms a bridge
with our readers.

This presentation is Tuesday, June 7^th . The Portland member meeting of
Willamette Writers will be held in the Copeland Room at TaborSpace, 5441
SE Belmont St, Portland, OR 97215. The meeting is free to members of
Willamette Writers and full time college students under 25. For more
information, visit www.willamettewriters.com