[Libs-Or] Service animal policy

Charles Kamilos ckamilos at georgefox.edu
Tue Jun 7 09:34:00 PDT 2016

I've been a librarian, both public and academic, since 1989. I also have
severe and chronic PTSD and Depression. I have a service dog, Hunter.

There is a Public Access Test
<http://www.assistancedogsinternational.org/standards/public-access-test/>
provided by an organization called Assistant Dogs international that Hunter
and I review periodically.

One thing that can seriously irritate me is the group of people that will
buy a vest for their dog and call her a service dog!

Hunter had 2 1/2 years of training before I got him. Together, we both had
to pass the standards test supervised by a certified professional dog
trainer. Plus, although I found money to help, it costs around $35,000 to
properly train a dog. I paid multiple thousands to get him.

Charlie Kamilos, Senior Librarian
Portland Center Librarian
George Fox University

 [image: Inline image 1]

--
(The Rev.) Charles Kamilos, Senior Librarian
Portland Center Librarian

ckamilos at georgefox.edu
503-554-6131 (office)
503-554-6133 (reference desk)