[Libs-Or] elimination of late fees

Linden How lhow at pnca.edu
Tue Jun 7 12:51:47 PDT 2016

Hi everyone,
We are considering doing away with general late fees at our library, and I
wonder if any of you have some experience or knowledge to share about
transitioning to a no-overdue-fine policy. Right now, the plan is to keep
charging for lost (more than 30 days overdue) items and overdue ILLs and
reserves, but to get rid of other late fees. We hope this change will
reduce barriers for our students and promote greater usage and
satisfaction.

I'd love to hear any general experiential information or see
models/resources you'd like to share. We also have a few specific questions
(please don't feel like you have to answer all of them!):

1. If you've transitioned to a no-overdue-fine policy, what was your
rationale? How did you navigate this with your governing body?
2. Did you experience any push-back from boards, governing bodies, or even
patrons?
3. What was your process in making this transition?
4. Do you handle communication with patrons about overdue items any
differently?
5. If you have a no-overdue-fine policy, can you share its specifics?
6. Have you noticed any differences, for example, in circulation numbers or
patron satisfaction?
7. What has and hasn't worked?

Thank you so much! We really appreciate your input.
Linden

--
Linden How
Library Assistant