[Libs-Or] The Feminist Task Force (SRRT) at ALA 2016 Annual

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 00:01:19 PDT 2016

I usually put together a list of meetings and programs that may be of
interest to feminists and their friends for ALA Conferences.  This year I
ran out of time so here is a quick list.

*Feminist Task Force*

*ALA 2016 Conference – Orlando*

This is a quick list of meetings and programs that may be of interest to
Feminists and their friends.  Also found at
http://ftfinfo.wikispaces.com/Conference+Schedules.

*Feminist Task Force (FTF)*

*Friday, June 24 *

7:30 PM - 9:00 PM – Feminist Task Force (SRRT) - HYATT Regency Orlando,
Bayhill 21

Regular business meeting (Notes from ALA 2016 Midwinter
http://ftfinfo.wikispaces.com/Minutes }

                *Saturday, June 25*

2:00 PM - 3:00 PM  –  Introduction to Women's Issues in ALA Discussion
Group - HILTON Orlando, Clear Lake

We will introduce people to ACRL WGSS, COSWL, GLBTRT, and the LLAMA Women
Administrator’s Discussion group and talk for a few minutes about what each
group is doing.

Some of the topics mentioned at Midwinter: women and gaming in libraries,
graphic novels by women, etc. but we seemed to settle on something based on
telling stories about your workplace and maybe narrow this down to how to
negotiate in your library setting.  This can be negotiating all kinds of
things and maybe how this is different for women than men.

*ACRL Women and Gender Studies Section*

*Saturday, June 25*

10:30 AM - 11:30 AM  –  All-Committees Meeting (ACRL WGSS) - HILTON
Orlando, Lake Lucerne

2:00 PM - 3:00 PM  –  Introduction to Women's Issues in ALA Discussion
Group - HILTON Orlando, Clear Lake  (See FTF)

4:30 PM - 5:30 PM  –  General Membership Forum (ACRL WGSS) - HILTON
Orlando, Lake Eola B

6:30 PM - 7:30 PM  –  WGSS Social (ACRL WGSS) - Off Site, Off Site

Please join us at Lafayette's, 9101 International Dr. #2220, at 6:30PM
immediately following the general membership meeting for the WGSS Social.

*Sunday, June 26*

3:00 PM - 4:00 PM  –  Executive Committee Meeting (ACRL WGSS) - HYATT
Regency Orlando, Challenger 42

*Monday, June 27*

8:30 AM - 10:00 AM  –  Discussion Forum (ACRL WGSS) - HILTON Orlando, Lake
Virginia

The focus of the discussion will be on the development of discipline
specific Frameworks. This discussion forum will give our section's
instruction committee to talk about their work on creating frames for women
and gender studies programs.

The panel will consist of TaraBaillargeon chair of the WGSS instruction
committee, and Joyce Garczynski, chair of EBSS communication studies
committee will discuss their work in developing discipline specific frames.
Jeanne Davidson, chair of the Information Literacy Framework and Standards
Committee, and Sharon Mader, ACRL visiting program officer for information
literacy will round out the panel of presenters. I also asked the sections
who have discipline specific standards to participate/attend and for
someone from Student Learning and Information Literacy committee to also
attend the forum. It should be a good discussion and I am hoping it is well
attended.

*Committee on the Status of Women in Librarianship*

*Saturday, June 25*

2:00 PM - 3:00 PM  –  Introduction to Women's Issues in ALA Discussion
Group - HILTON Orlando, Clear Lake  (See FTF)

4:30 PM - 5:30 PM  –  ALA Committee on the Status of Women in Librarianship
(COSWL) - Orange County Convention Center, W235

*LLAMA Women Administrators Discussion Group*

*Saturday, June 25*

1:00 PM - 2:30 PM  –  Women Administrators Discussion Group (LLAMA) -
Orange County Convention Center, W207A

*Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender Round Table (GLBTRT)*

*Saturday, June 25*

8:00am-8:30am                   Orlando Memorial with REFORMA (OCCC
Auditorium)

8:45am-11:00am              GLBTRT Executive Board Meeting (Hyatt Bayhill
20) *[New start time]*

11:30am-12:30pm            GLBTRT Membership Meeting (Hyatt Bayhill 18)

1:00 PM - 2:30 PM            "We Need Diverse Books and More: Multiple
Diversities: Capturing the Experience Intersectional Identities"   OCC Room
W101A

3:00-4:00pm                    The Wedding Heard ’Round the World: The
Michael McConnell and Jack Baker Story ( OCCC W109B)

4:30-5:30pm                    Queer Zines - Where We’ve Been, Where We
Are, and Where We’re Going (OCCC W102A)

5:30-7:00pm                    Larry Romans Memorial (OCCC, W109A)

*Sunday, June 26*

1:00-2:30pm                    No Room at the Library: The Ethics of
Diversity (OCCC W105B)

3:00-4:00pm                    Reflecting Realities: Transgender Fiction
for Today’s Tweens and Teens (OCCC W102A)

6:00-8:00pm                    GLBTRT Social, Blue Martini Lounge (located
in Pointe Orlando Shopping Center; 9101 International Drive #1182, Orlando)

*Monday, June 27*

10:00am-12:00pm            Stonewall Book Awards Program (Hyatt Florida
Ballroom) [FREE]

*Social Responsibility Round Table (SRRT)*

*Friday, June 24 *

7:30 PM - 9:00 PM  –  SRRT All Task Force Meeting - HYATT Regency Orlando,
Bayhill 21

*Saturday, June 25*

8:30 AM - 11:00 AM  –  SRRT Action Council I - Orange County Convention
Center, S321

*Sunday, June 26*

3:00 PM - 4:00 PM  –  SRRT Action Council II - Orange County Convention
Center, W207A

*Progressive Librarians Guild*

*Sunday, June 26*

4:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. Orange County Convention Center, Room W207A

The Membership Meeting will include a presentation by 2016 Braverman
Memorial Prize winner Sarah S. Kortemeier about her winning essay, “I'll
Drown My Book: Visibility, Gender, and Classification in The University of
Arizona Poetry Center Library.” The essay concerns the persistent gender
imbalance in literary publishing. Kortemeier writes that she “seek[s] to
highlight and amplify the voices of female poets in the holdings of a
single library by enhancing subject analysis in cataloging practices and
creating a shelf marking system for anthologies that focus on women's
writing.” The presentation will be followed by a Q&A and discussion.

7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.  PLG/Braverman Dinner

At Siam Thai Cuisine, 8957 International Drive

(Thai restaurant with plenty of vegetarian options)

http://www.atsiamthaicuisine.com

We’ll gather for food, conversation and camaraderie as we honor 2016
Braverman Memorial Prize winner Sarah S. Kortemeier.

--
*Diedre Conkling*

*Lincoln County Library DistrictP.O. Box 2027Newport, OR 97365Phone & Fax:
541-265-3066Work email**: **diedre at lincolncolibrarydist.org*
<diedre at lincolncolibrarydist.org>
*Home email: **diedre08 at gmail.com* <diedre08 at gmail.com>

“If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change
your attitude.”―Maya Angelou