[Libs-Or] Civics for Adults workshops planned

Donna Cohen dcohen at dcoheninfo.com
Sun Mar 20 10:31:28 PDT 2016

Hello folks,

It's been awhile since I was on Libs-Or, mainly because I was heavily
involved in a couple of intense civic advocacy projects over the past 5
years [which, I can happily say, turned out positively]. Every civic group
should have a reference librarian; we bring important - and at times crucial
- skills to civic efforts.

I am now picking up where I left off 5 years ago with my Civics for Adults:
Enhancing Civic Knowledge and Inspiring Political Engagement Series. I'm
scheduled at a couple of libraries in N Portland with the first two
workshops of the Series. Eventually, there will be 5. All will consist of
presentation, discussion and small group activities and, sometimes, short
videos. Here are the topics, so far:

Scheduled:

What to Believe? Misinformation and Political Propaganda

and other media. Establish truth from fiction using critical thinking
skills, and learn where to find accurate information.

The Constitution, and the Governments we live with

governments.

This is a review of basics, and a challenge to reflect with new eyes.

Future workshops planned for:

*  Voting, Elections and Campaign Finance: A Review [planning for fall]

*  Influencing Government - how to be a "Citizen Lobbyist"

*  Federal spending via taxes expenditures - "spending by another name".
What we need to understand.

I have a Facebook page I just started for this endeavor:
<https://www.facebook.com/Civics-for-Adults-1490728887922036/>
https://www.facebook.com/Civics-for-Adults-1490728887922036/

If you "like" you will receive posts about scheduled workshops, as well as,
eventually, Civics resources. I also have an email list for those who want
to keep up-to-date and prefer that method of communication.

Below is a longer description about this effort:

Civics for Adults workshops grew out of a frustration with what I perceive
as a lack of knowledge around many basic areas of civic knowledge, and lack
of critical thinking skills, among many people. I am not a historian but I
am a teacher and a librarian who combines a long-standing interest in civic
institutions with secondary research skills and teaching skills.

I have also participated [and sometimes, led] efforts to improve
environments around me - from something as simple as getting my graduate
program to institute an annual student survey in order to provide feedback
to the school [which immediately resulted in the program dropping a course
requirement which made no sense!] to working in my community for safety and
justice around an extremely important transportation issue, to effecting
crucial changes as part of our high school remodel.

I follow local and national politics, read relevant materials, and use my
infopro skills to ferret out information regarding specific civic
developments. I have testified at Portland City Council and in the State
Legislature on behalf of various issues. In short, I am an active CITIZEN
and would like to encourage others to be so too, whether it is simply by
being better informed, on up to taking active steps to support or oppose
events that affect you.

I continue to learn everyday about the topics which will be covered in the
workshops [any teacher will tell you - if you want to expand your knowledge
about something, try teaching about it!] and believe in everyone's ability
to increase their understanding of what is going on around them, and make
sense out of [at least, most :-) ] public events.

Come join me on these explorations of civic basics. I conducted these
workshops before but then was pulled away by some intense direct civic
advocacy this past 5 years. I am now re-instituting them and intend to
continue with these workshops for a long time to come.

The workshops are structured around specific content. Sometimes there will
be short videos to enhance the content; occasionally, guest speakers. The
workshops are also an opportunity for civil discourse, where a mixture of
ideas is welcome but the goal is expanding one's knowledge, not forcing your
views on others. It is a space for people to do what, in our society, is
often neglected - ask questions, of each other, and most importantly, of
yourself. Keep an open mind and you will undoubtedly find some new and
interesting information.

Glad to be back!

Donna

Donna L Cohen, MEd, MLIS

Portland, Oregon

503-737-1425

dcohen at dcoheninfo.com

Civics for Adults Workshop Series: To Enhance Civic Knowledge and Inspire
Political Engagement