[Libs-Or] Public Policy

Megan Dugan Megan.Dugan at mhcc.edu
Wed Mar 30 07:52:02 PDT 2016

Kathy,

The laws vary by state and Oregon does allow citizens to carry concealed handguns if they have a proper permit.

http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/166.370

Oregon is also an open carry state but there are some restrictions in place that prevent open carry in schools and court houses. Generally, these restrictions don’t apply to other public buildings like the library, DMV, grocery store, etc.

You should definitely check with your legal counsel, however, most public libraries put policies in place that prevent patrons from causing a disturbance or threatening behavior with a weapon. That means that open carrying weapons is legal and of course if they are licensed (and properly concealed) your staff and patrons shouldn’t even notice it. ☺

Good luck,
Megan

Megan Dugan
Library Director