[Libs-Or] Civics for Adults workshops offered

D Cohen dcohen at hevanet.com
Thu May 5 10:18:41 PDT 2016

Hello all,

[Apologies if this a repeat due to the disruption with libs-or recently.]

If you would like to check these out for possible library programming, I am
holding a public workshop next week, and then some in June [See below]. I
think you will find these first two in the series rather unique, providing
new perspectives on the topics. The Misinformation workshop presents the
variety of ways that information may be distorted [intentionally or
unintentionally] - political ads, distorted graphs and charts, statistical
info, misleading headlines, logical fallacies, etc. There is a small group
activity component. We end with some basic "bibliographic instruction" info
on how to find information using Google strategies, library databases,
government info sources, etc. I am finding that people are very surprised
and delighted at the research databases libraries have to offer.

The Constitution workshop presents the chronological and philosophical
context in which it was written. The emphasis is on the compromises that had
to be made - the very real dilemmas the Framers were faced with in order to
create the United States. There are implications for how we approach our
current political environment, and also a focus on how we might consider
structural changes vs only changing our elected officials. By "structural"
is meant, for example - do we have a good ratio of Representatives in
Congress to populations they serve. When the country was founded it was
1:50,000 on average, and if James Madison had had his way an 11th Amendment
would have mandated that continue. Currently, the ratio is 1:700,000 on
average.

The is all about developing a broader perspective to one's thinking about
these topics. The workshops are non-partisan.

Mon. May 9
Our Constitution is misunderstood in many ways. This workshop will help you
puncture some myths and develop a broader perspective on it. A 20-minute
video will be shown.
North Portland Library, 512 N Killingsworth St, 6:30-7:45

Weds. June 1
Misinformation and Political Propaganda. We are overwhelmed with messages
from politicians, news sources and other media. Establish truth from fiction
using critical thinking skills, and learn where to find accurate
information.
Midland Library, 805 SE 122 Ave. 6:30-7:45

Mon. June 13
Misinformation and Political Propaganda. We are overwhelmed with messages
from politicians, news sources and other media. Establish truth from fiction
using critical thinking skills, and learn where to find accurate
information.
NW Branch 2300 NW Thurman 6:30--7:45

Mon. June 20
Our Constitution is misunderstood in many ways. This workshop will help you
puncture some myths and develop a broader perspective on it. A 20-minute
video will be shown.
NW Branch, 2300 NW Thurman St. 6:00-7:45

Mon. June 29
Our Constitution is misunderstood in many ways. This workshop will help you
puncture some myths and develop a broader perspective on it. A 20-minute
video will be shown.
Midland Library, 805 SE 122nd 6:30-7:45

Donna

Donna L Cohen, MEd, MLIS

Portland, Oregon

503-737-1425

citizen at civicthinker.net <mailto:citizen at civicthinker.net>

Civics for Adults Workshop Series: To Enhance Civic Knowledge and Inspire
Political Engagement

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Civics-for-Adults-1490728887922036/ "