[Libs-Or] The restroom question

Carol Dinges cdinges at ci.lebanon.or.us
Fri May 6 11:54:29 PDT 2016

Thank you – this is really helpful.

Carol Dinges
Lebanon Public Library

From: Libs-Or [mailto:libs-or-bounces at listsmart.osl.state.or.us] On Behalf Of David Brown
Sent: Friday, May 06, 2016 11:35 AM
To: Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney
Cc: libs-or at listsmart.osl.state.or.us
Subject: Re: [Libs-Or] The restroom question

Here's an answer I received from a person in the Trans Community who messaged me concerning this. It includes a comment directed towards a cis gendered person who had responded with a response more along the lines of the need to keep the Children's Room for children only, but there are other things to consider in the comment as well.

"With the gender neutral bathroom at your [sic] library, I like that you guys are thinking along those lines at your library. I’ve been brainstorming on your signage issue for a few here and without any personal experience, all I have is thought experiments essentially.
IF some sort of signage, then Kayla Kim does bring up a good point at an unfortunately interesting time. I think the sign should not have any reference to the gender neutral bathrooms being “in the children’s area”. One option would be a general sign by the male & female bathrooms, “Questions or concerns? We’re here to help!” But then if your aim is only really to accommodate nonbinary & gnc people, then a direct sign simply saying something like “ ___ ____ Library also has a gender neutral restroom available.” That’s not quite right, maybe a bit more concise would be better but yeah
____ ____ Library also has a gender neutral restroom available” -- was trying to think of a better word than “has” while avoiding words like “provides”. Anyway, I’d just avoid any words that suggest or imply special treatment or “accommodation” of any sort."

Just wanted to throw this out there for more consideration.

David Adkins-Brown
adkinsbr at usc.edu<mailto:adkinsbr at usc.edu>
greenlionrampant at gmail.com<mailto:greenlionrampant at gmail.com>

"As my dear departed friend Lotus Weinstock used to say: "I used to wanna change the world. Now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity." " - Justin Bond