[Libs-Or] Summer Reading Highlights from CSLP Annual Meeting

CSD CSLP Rep csdcslprep at olaweb.org
Fri May 6 17:09:44 PDT 2016

Hello Colleagues,

Recently, I attended the Annual Meeting of the Collaborative Summer Library
Program (CSLP) on behalf of the OLA Children’s Services Division (CSD),
along with K’Lyn Hann, who represented OYAN (Oregon Young Adult Network).
This meeting is where representatives from CSLP member states and
territories gather to determine summer reading themes and slogans, plus
give feedback about CSLP programs, products, and services.

*Here are some highlights from this year’s annual meeting:*

-        CSLP’s Executive Director, Sherry Siclair, is approaching her
1-year anniversary in this new role with the organization. She is
especially focused on developing strategic partnerships and raising
awareness of CSLP in the education community at the national level.

-        The CSLP Board is exploring manual formats that will reduce
production costs and paper usage, while still providing materials for
members in a format that works well for us.

-        There was a lot of great discussion this year about diversity and
inclusiveness! CSLP and our reps are very concerned about and committed to
developing programs and products that are as inclusive as possible. In fact…

-        There are many committees who do important work on inclusion,
summer reading manuals, products, and more. Anyone from a member state or
territory can help out on these committees, even if they are not the state
reps from CSD or OYAN. Interested in getting involved? Contact a state rep,
and we will direct you to the right person!

-        Coming in 2017, there will be an early literacy summer reading
manual in Spanish, including books, rhymes, and songs in Spanish, as well
as outreach tips for connecting with Spanish-speaking families.

-        If libraries are translating the CSLP reading logs into other
languages, we can share the files of the translated logs with others
through the CSLP website. Please contact a CSLP Rep (listed below) to share
materials.

-        There are wonderful resources available to us on the CSLP website
<http://www.cslpreads.org/>, including a white paper about summer reading
<http://www.cslpreads.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/CSLP-Summer-Reading-White-Paper-2015.pdf>,
public service announcements
<http://www.cslpreads.org/programs/childrens-program/psa/>, and teen summer
reading promotional videos
<http://www.cslpreads.org/programs/teen-program/teen-video-challenge/>.

*Future Summer Reading Themes and Slogans Schedule!*

-        2017 Theme: Architecture, Building, Construction
2017 Slogan: Build a Better World (same slogan for all ages)

-        2018 Theme: Music
2018 Slogan: Libraries Rock! (same slogan for all ages)

-        2019 Theme: Space
2019 Slogan/s – To be determined at the 2017 Annual Meeting. Watch for
surveys to solicit your ideas before CSLP meets again!

Remember – the CSD Fall Workshop will focus on summer reading and related
topics. More details to follow as plans are developed!

Thank you for allowing me to represent you, and please send me your
questions!

Kristy

*Kristy Kemper Hodge*

Youth Services Librarian
Corvallis-Benton County Public Library
CSD CSLP Representative/Summer Reading Chair

*All Oregon public, volunteer, and tribal libraries are members of the
Collaborative Summer Library Program (CSLP), and receive a free summer
reading manual.  To get the most out of your membership, create an account
on the CSLP website* *(**http://www.cslpreads.org/*
<http://www.cslpreads.org/>*) **and you will be able to access additional
summer reading resources. CSLP membership dues and manual fees are paid for
by the State Library with Library Services and Technology Act funds. Summer
reading manuals are distributed by OLA’s Children’s Services Division
summer reading chair, summer reading feedback and suggestions are collected
by OLA’s Young Adult Network CSLP Liaison, and all three of us listed below
represent you on CSLP committees and at the CSLP annual meeting. *

*For more information contact one of your CSLP representatives:*

-         *Kristy Kemper Hodge, CSD Summer Reading Chair:
csdcslprep at olaweb.org <csdcslprep at olaweb.org> *

<http://listsmart.osl.state.or.us/mailman/options/kids-lib/kristy.kemperhodge--at--corvallisoregon.gov>

-         *K’Lyn Hann, OYAN CSLP Liaison:* *klyn.hann at newbergoregon.gov*
<http://listsmart.osl.state.or.us/mailman/options/oyan/klyn.hann--at--newbergoregon.gov>
*-       Katie Anderson, CSLP Oregon State Representative:*
*katie.anderson at state.or.us* <katie.anderson at state.or.us>