[Libs-Or] Historical books needing good homes

Susan Gilmont susangilmont at gmail.com
Mon May 9 11:56:36 PDT 2016

Forwarded to libs-or on behalf of Michele Redmond.

Hello,

I am the secretary for the Lincoln County Genealogy Society based in Toledo,
Oregon. The LCGS has two old and potentially valuable books that were
donated to us-an atlas and a civil war book-and in turn we would like to
donate them to a repository that could properly store and care for them. We
would like the books to stay in Oregon if possible. These are the books:

1-      Battles and Commanders. Copyright 1907 by G.F. Stanley. Edited by
General Marcus F. Wright of the War Department, Washington, DC. Publisher
appears to be War Department, 1712 G St. NW, Washington, DC. This is in
quite good condition, with one loose page, a very small separation in the
spine, and 2-3 pages missing in the front material. The plates appear to be
lithographs, and it is a lovely book. The drawings are from life and very
compelling. It looks to be worth at least a couple hundred dollars. We
looked into having the repairs done, but our local person felt that although
repairs were not extensive, they should be done by "an archivist of note" to
preserve the value, and we don't have any of those around here.

2-      The People's Illustrated and Descriptive Family Atlas of the World,
Indexed. 1885. People's Publishing Co., NE Cor. Washington St & Wabash Ave,
Chicago, Illinois. Copyright 1884 by People's Publishing Co. Good condition.

Please let me know if you would be interested in accepting these, or if you
need further information. If you are not interested, perhaps you could
suggest another library that might be. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Michele S. Redmond

Secretary, LCGS

Lincoln County Genealogical Society

c/o Toledo Public Library

173 NW 7th St.

Toledo, OR 97391

www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~orygs/

Susan Gilmont, retired library technician