[Libs-Or] Library Nov. 8 election results

Eva Calcagno Calcagno at wccls.org
Mon Nov 14 10:18:50 PST 2016

Buzzy is correct – post-BM47/50, each government taxing entity was  assigned a permanent tax base amount ($xx per $1000 of assessed value) and  they are authorized to levy up to that amount each year.  An entity may levy less than the authorized amount (for example,  the City of Beaverton does this).
As Ted suggested,  an entity (city or county) could strike a deal that if a library district passed and  established its  own permanent tax base (a new tax rate separate from the entity), the city or county could promise to  levy less in future years as a result. This could be for  1 yr, 5 yrs, forever, whatever they chose. The art would be in convincing voters that they would stick to the agreement. There is nothing that would  ever actually CHANGE a permanent tax rate.  The nice thing  about this is that it would give the entity some room for future growth, i.e. add additional cents to the rate in the future as needed, but only up to the original permanent tax base amount.
As Buzzy noted,  however, the tax amounts in some counties and  cities are so low already (again because of that magical amount  assigned by the BM47/50 black  box calculation) that they can’t afford to do this.  Here in the metro area, we probably could.

Eva Calcagno, Director
Washington County Cooperative Library Services
(503)846-3233
www.wccls.org<http://www.wccls.org>