[Libs-Or] new book available for ILL from the Oregon State Library

Ann Reed ann.reed at state.or.us
Tue Oct 11 16:11:06 PDT 2016

The following new title is available for interlibrary loan from the Oregon State Library.

Most library staff are able to use their library's interlibrary loan service to borrow professional development material.  However, if you do not have access to these services or are not currently affiliated with a library, please contact me so we can work out alternative options for borrowing the material.

[cid:image002.jpg at 01D223DA.11CAED00]Radford Marie and Gary Radford. Library Conversations: Reclaiming Interpersonal Communication Theory for Understanding Professional Encounters. Chicago: ALA Neal Schumann, 2017.020.14  Radfo  ISBN 978083847

The importance of being "fully present" in face-to-face as well as virtual interactions in the complex, challenging, and rapidly changing work environment of today's libraries cannot be overstated. It means the difference between conversations that are clear, non-confrontational, and productive and those that are unfocused, awkward, or even threatening.  From the reference desk and the community meeting to the board room, the human resource office, and the conference table, effective interpersonal communication lies at the center of the profession. Offering analysis applicable to all types of library situations, this book

  *   describes a number of theoretical frameworks for understanding interpersonal communication, spanning Aristotle, John Locke, Ruesch and Bateson, Watzlawick and his colleagues, and Erving Goffman;
  *   uses examples from all different types of library interpersonal encounters, including those with colleagues, the public, managers, and subordinates, to discuss how these historical frameworks apply to libraries and the world of information science;
  *   combines theory with decades-long empirical research gathered by the authors and their colleagues; and
  *   offers an in-depth examination of the reference encounter, introducing a content/relational model of success illustrated with examples from librarians and library users.
By applying the insights provided here to daily communication practice, libraries everywhere can build positive relationships with library users, the communities they serve, and among their own staff.

Be sure to check out our Library and Information Science (LIS) blog (http://osl-lis.blogspot.com/) to discover the most recent additions to our LIS collection and search our catalog (http://oregon.gov/OSL/index.shtml) for our complete holdings. The library science collection is meant to support the whole Oregon library community. The Library Development Division welcomes your suggestions for acquisitions - see the blog for an input form or email us!

[IMLS_Logo_2c.gif]This collection is supported in whole by the Institute of Museum and Library Services through the Library Services and Technology Act, administered by the Oregon State Library.

Ann Reed, MLS  Federal Programs Coordinator
Oregon State Library
Library Support and Development Services
250 Winter St.
Salem, OR 97301
ann.reed at state.or.us
phone 503-378-5027