[Libs-Or] Shakespeare Books & Antiques closing

Gabrielle S Fuentes Gabrielle.Fuentes at humboldt.edu
Sat Sep 3 11:13:06 PDT 2016

I just wanted to say that Mark's point about striking a balance is an
excellent point.  It ultimately comes down to who we want to be as an
institution, a place that opposes censorship and upholds the values of free
speech to the detriment of losing patrons who feel we are not a safe place
for them to be, or a place that is sensitive to the lived trauma many
peoples have experienced, including being reduced to hateful caricatures.
When I first read about this, I had trouble understanding why no one tried
to strike a balance in this situation.

Mark is right, as libraries we carry a range of viewpoints on multiple
issues, but we need to be strategic about how and when we display that
information.  I personally believe that there is a level of responsibility
on our part as libraries to provide context and consent.  Some replies to
this thread have expressed discomfort  as a reason to not censor books.  I
agree completely.  This is not a case of discomfort however, it is a case
of actual trauma experienced by citizens in United States history.  No the
book should not be removed from libraries, but yes, there should be more
thought put into how it is displayed.

I doubt there is a library on the West Coast that allows patrons to walk in
and randomly use hate speech in the library.  Why? It's disruptive, it
causes distress to staff and other patrons, and hate speech is not
protected speech.  I see no difference in the racial caricature on the
cover of Little Black Sambo.  It is hateful, it is charged, it causes
distress to people who's ancestors were enslaved in the United States, who
had similar caricatures drawn of them, and bear the burden (and pain) of
racism that exists today because of that history.  It is one thing to put
up a book with a title on the cover, and no image, and it is another to put
up an image that causes actual distress to people.  There is an element of
consent that we expect as a society when seeing violent images, or hearing
hate speech.  It is something that we as a society deem as something people
have the right to seek out, to enter into those spaces of their own will,
but not to be waved around in the public view.  We would not put a KKK
member in the lobby to give a speech using racial slurs or hate speech, but
we *may* allow a KKK group to meet in the meeting room, and those who
attend consent to enter the space, by knowing what it is they are getting
into beforehand.  Another example is pornography, many libraries allow
pornography to be viewed, but under recessed monitors so as to not disturb
the work of staff, or disrupt patrons who do not consent to viewing
pornography.  We make adjustments everyday to preserve someone's right to
view information, while also remaining sensitive to the needs of the whole
group.  There is a level of stewardship we must take on to create a balance
for our patrons of protecting free speech, opposing censorship, but also
serving our communities.

The KKK may seem like an extreme example, however, I believe as
historically white institutions we take extreme stances sometimes that
forget our other value of serving our communities.  I believe it is a
mistake to not see an image like the Little Black Sambo caricature, that
harkens back to a time of extreme violence, hatred, and enslavement, as
violent and distressing to people of color.  I also believe it is a mistake
to marginalize and shut out parts of our community for the sake of
hammering home a value that we can work to preserve in more sensitive ways.
I don't think there is ill will here, but I think there is a disconnect

If the bookstore were a library, it would have been more constructive to
simply move the book onto the shelf, or create some context for the display
describing censorship in the context of erasing history that can inform us
on how to be a better society today, but removing the cover if we chose to
have it front and center, and leaving the text.  I've seen this done
creatively, with censorship displays that have paper bags over the book
covers, describing what the book was censored for.  Patrons can then choose
to pick up the book and check it out.

It would make sense for us to have a book group that informs people of the
materials being read beforehand, and to engage in a community dialog around
the importance of opposing censorship, even for racist texts like these.
But simply putting out an image like that without more thoughtful context
than look at these racist, censored books, is irresponsible and in the case
of Little Black Sambo, there is little thought to the distress and
potentially triggering of trauma, it is causing actual human beings who may
face racist violence today.  We are providers of information, and simply
putting out a book without thoughtful and in-depth context (aka more
information), we are failing at our jobs.

If we aren't thinking critically about the purpose of our work and our
displays, and finding ways to still bring awareness to these issues and
responsibly preserve their presence in the library, we are simply
depositories of materials, we are not cultural institutions that encourage
dialogue and work to better our communities through providing information.

Just my two cents.

--
Gabby Fuentes
Instruction and Research Librarian