[Libs-Or] Shakespeare Books & Antiques closing

Maureen Battistella mbattistellaor at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 17:58:41 PDT 2016

Hi all,

The book store's closing was not unexpected. The owner is buying Ashland
Recycled Furniture on A Street as she closes the store on Main Street.

I'm grateful to all of you and the Ashland community too for responding with
such determined defense of the use of banned book displays as a means to
educate and inform. This single point is what OSF disputed: that displays,
with context and clarity, are usual and customary.  Personally, I feel that
any display of just about anything is bound to bring some objection, some
disagreement, some rejection and hopefully also surprise, conversation and
greater understanding.

Here in Ashland, the concern is not so much an economic boycott as it is
OSF's inappropriate institutional exercise and abuse of cultural power. The
righteous tone of communications has been hard for many of us to believe and
difficult for us to accept. These have been in conflict and opposition to
what I and others have come to expect of OSF so we are disappointed that
Executive Director Cynthia Rider and now Creative Director Bill Rauch
decline to extend a simple apology to the book store and to the community.

OSF does theater well and should stick to what it does best - staged,
dramatic performances. OSF is and should be the curator of OSF displays, but
OSF's institutional interference in community affairs is just wrong.
Personally, I will continue to go to plays, but not support OSF's other
attempts to engage the community. There are many, many other fun and
interesting ways to spend my time here in the narrow, green valleys of
Southern Oregon. Pears and grapes are in harvest, and their scent is
intoxicating, redolent. Cannabis follows shortly.

Maureen Battistella, MLS
OSF Member
Ashland, Oregon