[Libs-Or] Another Civics workshop this week...

Donna Cohen dcohen at dcoheninfo.com
Sun Sep 11 09:27:42 PDT 2016

Sorry, forgot to add this. Again, last scheduled workshop for the fall right
now.

Misinformation and Political Propaganda

Thurs. Sept 15, Monmouth Library, 168 Ecols St. S. 6:00-7:30

We are overwhelmed with messages from politicians, news sources and other
media. Learn to distinguish truth from fiction using critical thinking
strategies.

The workshop uses real world examples of political ads, news headlines,
logical fallacies, graphs / charts, the effect of word choice in messaging,
statistical data and other types of information in a "what do you see here?
/ what is missing?" type of format.

The last part is about finding accurate information. The goal is to help
people become their own "factchecker".

"It's good to question assertions of any kind, especially timely in this
election year. I liked Donna's examples of real ads and how we need to be
mentally vigilant."

"It was nice to talk about poll sources and look at information in context."

"Useful info for using library databanks to search for pertinent
information. Really enjoyed the workshop."

Donna L Cohen, MEd, MLIS

Portland, Oregon

503-737-1425

citizen at civicthinker.net

Civics for Adults Workshop Series: To Enhance Civic Knowledge and Inspire
Political Engagement

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Civics-for-Adults-1490728887922036/