[Libs-Or] Oregon Historical Society Library Director Geoff Wexler Retires; Shawna Gandy Named Interim Library Director

Rachel Randles Rachel.Randles at OHS.org
Wed Sep 14 17:22:10 PDT 2016

Official news release on the transition in the Oregon Historical Society Research Library attached, and below!

Oregon Historical Society Library Director Geoff Wexler Retires; Shawna Gandy Named Interim Library Director

Portland, OR - September 14, 2016 - After fourteen years of service to the Oregon Historical Society, Library Director Geoff Wexler retired on August 25. OHS Executive Directory Kerry Tymchuk named Library Deputy Director Shawna Gandy as Interim Library Director, overseeing the Society's Research Library staff of thirteen.

"One of the best decisions I made early on in my directorship was naming Geoff Wexler the Director of the Research Library," said OHS Executive Director Kerry Tymchuk. "His expert leadership has been critical to expanding the library's services and archival capacity. It has been a pleasure working closely with him, and while he will be sorely missed, we wish him the best in his retirement, and I am confident that the library will continue to be led with capable hands with Shawna Gandy at the helm."

During his tenure at the Oregon Historical Society, Wexler worked as Senior Archivist before being appointed Library Director in 2011. Under his direction, the Society expanded public research hours from twelve to thirty-two per week, increased staffing, greatly enhanced access to OHS manuscript collections, and initiated ongoing efforts to improve access to the oral history collection, among many other projects. He lent a special touch to many exhibits and public presentations and become known as a knowledgeable resource for Oregon history.

Shawna Gandy has worked at the Oregon Historical Society since 1996. During her tenure at the Oregon Historical Society, Gandy has served in many capacities in the library, delving into exhibit research, reference, education, preservation, and collections management. She currently spearheads the OHS Digital Vault Project and associated digitization programs to enhance the stewardship of the library's digital materials and create wider public access to OHS Digital Collections.

###

About the Oregon Historical Society
For more than a century, the Oregon Historical Society has served as the state's collective memory, preserving a vast collection of artifacts, photographs, maps, manuscript materials, books, films, and oral histories. Our research library, museum, digital platforms & website (www.ohs.org<file:///\\ohsfsdc1\shared\Development%20and%20Membership\Marketing\Press%20Releases\2015\www.ohs.org>), educational programming, and historical journal make Oregon's history open and accessible to all. We exist because history is powerful, and because a history as deep and rich as Oregon's cannot be contained within a single story or point of view.

---

Please note I will be out of the office from September 14 - October 3 with limited access to email.

Rachel Randles
Communications & Marketing Manager
Oregon Historical Society
1200 SW Park Ave. | Portland, OR 97205
p: 503.306.5221
e: rachel.randles at ohs.org
www.ohs.org<http://www.ohs.org/>

[Description: cid:image002.jpg at 01D101D6.44821560]<https://www.facebook.com/oregonhistory>   [Description: cid:image014.jpg at 01D101D6.44821560] <https://twitter.com/orhist>    [Description: cid:image009.jpg at 01D101D6.44821560] <https://plus.google.com/+oregonhistory>    [Description: cid:image010.jpg at 01D101D6.44821560] <http://ohsresearchlibrary.tumblr.com/>    [Description: cid:image011.jpg at 01D101D6.44821560] <https://www.youtube.com/oregonhistory>    [Description: cid:image015.jpg at 01D101D6.44821560] <https://www.pinterest.com/orhist/>