[Libs-Or] FW: [Calix] Voter info suppression in OR

Donna Cohen dcohen at dcoheninfo.com
Thu Sep 29 08:15:20 PDT 2016

It strikes me that given the timeline, all the Commissioners have to do is ignore requests to have the info on their website pages. Not saying we shouldn’t try that and do the petition, just saying that pro-active work is important.

Some type of public ed campaign to include [off the top]:

Info on the library website [although, I assume this has been done]. Prominent, and pointing out that the county is NOT letting the public know.

A phone/email tree to all community leaders asking them to spread the word to any groups they are part of [include a flyer]

Flyers

Depending on whether it is geo feasible, a door-to-door canvass in neighborhoods likely to support. Best to get a group with authority to get a list of likely voters from state elections dept. [likely might include: have voted in the last two elections, etc.]. In fact, if there is a group that has done this type of canvassing, enlist their aid.

Go speak to any community groups that are meeting before the election.

Enlist the aid of any elected official [state Reps and Senators] who would help

Articles in local papers

Do a Press Conference

Protest group in front of a county commissioner’s meeting, and pack the meeting with supporters with whatever signs are feasible [e.g. some gov bodies say you can only have signs at letter size (8 ½ x 11)]; most gov meetings provide a limited number of slots for public comment. Try to fill those slots with supporters.

Do the above in conjunction with a Press Conference.

Donna

Donna L Cohen, MEd, MLIS

Portland, Oregon

503-737-1425

citizen at civicthinker.net

Civics for Adults Workshop Series: To Enhance Civic Knowledge and Inspire Political Engagement

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Civics-for-Adults-1490728887922036/