[Libs-Or] Fwd: [glbtrt-l] FW: PRESS RELEASE: ALA Office for Intellectual Freedom launches Our Voices

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 11:56:33 PDT 2016

I don't remember whether or not this was shared on libs-or so thought it
couldn't hurt to post it again even if it was.  Obviously, I am too lazy to
check the archive. ;-)

***Please distribute widely and forgive cross-posting*****

Contact:

James LaRue

Director

Office for Intellectual Freedom

jlarue at ala.org

CHICAGO – Today, the American Library Association’s Office for Intellectual
Freedom (OIF) and Office for Diversity, Literacy, and Outreach Services
announced Our Voices, an initiative to offer a template to interested
libraries to promote the growth of diverse, quality content in library
collections.

Of the Top Ten Most Challenged Books of 2015
<http://www.ala.org/bbooks/frequentlychallengedbooks/top10> (a
report OIF compiles from the media and from librarians defending books
against attempts to remove them from school and public libraries), nine of
the books were about diverse content. (OIF defines diverse books as books
written by and about people of color, in the LGBTQIA community, who are
differently abled, and in ethnic, cultural, and religious
minorities.) OIF data shows that attempts to remove books with diverse
content are higher than ever before.

The number of diverse books available through mainstream publishers is also
relatively low. For example, Publisher Lee & Low, using the University of
Wisconsin’s Cooperative Children’s Book Center’s statistics from 2016,
found that only 14% of the 3,400 books written for children in 2015 were by
and/or about people of color while 34% of the U.S. population are people of
color. There has been an explosion of diverse content coming from small,
independent, and self-published authors. But there has been no clear
channel for such content to be discovered and acquired by school and public
libraries.

“Unfortunately, smaller diverse publishing communities are often
overlooked,” said  Jody Gray, director, Office for Diversity, Literacy and
Outreach Services. “Given the cultural challenges we are seeing across the
United States, literature must reflect all facets of society. *Our Voices* will
assist with efforts to build library collection that mirror the needs of
diverse users, as well as provide an opportunity for all patrons to explore
life experiences other than their own.”

and will document successful approaches to:

   - identify small, independent, and self-published content creators in
   the local region
   - connect with those content creators and other members of the reading
   ecosystem (especially independent booksellers and readers) for a
   conversation about diversity, quality, and the value of libraries
   - develop collections of reviewed, diverse, quality content
   - get these collections into the local library collection
   - allow other libraries to acquire these collections.

Our Voices is committed to:

   1. Equitable Access. All library patrons should be able to find content
   in their local libraries that reflect their own lives.
   2. Diversity. We recognize all diverse experiences, including (but not
   limited to) people of color, in the LGBTQIA community, who are
   differently abled, and/or who are in an ethnic, cultural, and/or religious
   minority.
   3. Quality. We look for content that reflects intention, craft, and
   objective review.
   4. Sustainability. *Our Voices* is meant to be self-sustaining, an
   ongoing effort effecting a permanent change in the landscape of publishing
   and librarianship.
   5. Preservation. The content of *Our Voices* should be maintained for
   future readers and researchers. We will seek to find a persistent digital
   repository.

For additional information regarding Our Voices please visit
http://ourvoiceschicago.ala.org .

About the American Library Association
The American Library Association (ALA), the voice of America's libraries,
is the oldest, largest and most influential library association in the
world. Its more than 57,000 members are primarily librarians but also
trustees, publishers and other library supporters. The association
represents all types of libraries; its mission is to promote the highest
quality library and information services and public access to information.

About the Office for Intellectual Freedom
The Office for Intellectual Freedom (OIF) is charged with implementing ALA
policies concerning the concept of intellectual freedom as embodied in
the Library
Bill of Rights <http://www.ala.org/advocacy/intfreedom/librarybill>, the
Association’s basic policy on free access to libraries and library
materials.

About the Office for Diversity, Literacy, and Outreach Services
Office for Diversity, Literacy, and Outreach Services serves the membership
through its initiatives and programs, resource development, active
consultations and training on diversity issues that impact the profession,
the workplace and information service delivery. The Office also maintains
an active recruitment program for people of color to the library profession
known as the Spectrum Initiative.

View the full press release here: http://www.ala.org/news/press-
releases/2016/09/ala-office-intellectual-freedom-launches-our-voices

Our Voices

Facebook: Our Voices Chicago

Twitter: @OurVoicesChi

Instagram: OurVoicesChi