[Libs-Or] petition response

Eva Calcagno Calcagno at wccls.org
Fri Sep 30 09:51:30 PDT 2016

To reiterate previous comments, Oregon election rules for government entities are pretty clear. Libraries, library employees or government appointed library board members may not advocate for or against a measure (or candidate) on the job or in their official capacity, or use government resources to do so.  Anything printed by the library/county must use neutral language to discuss the measure – what would happen if it passes, what would happen if it does not pass (you cannot use the word fail as it is not “neutral”) and what the taxpayer impact would be (would, not will as will assumes a conclusion!).  This also applies to websites, broadcast information, etc.  The Quick Reference Guide is very helpful: http://sos.oregon.gov/elections/Documents/260.432_quickref.pdf  So, if you were providing links to any partisan information it would seem to violate the impartial rule.

The Secretary of State Elections Division is very good at helping with compliance. Washington County always sends all of our prepared materials (including videos) to the Elections Division for review (send final drafts before you print!). In our last election (Nov 2015) they reviewed and returned recommendations to us within 24 hours.  They are awesome! They look not only at the language, but your graphics and photos (no happy or sad children, no check marks next to a Yes box, and so forth – anything that might pull at emotional heartstrings). After review, we always include in small print at the  bottom of our  pieces a disclaimer, “This material reviewed by Secretary of State Elections Division ADVXXXX.”  They assign you an ADVisory file number.  Once you have done this you have “Safe Harbor” status and any complaints received by Elections will be notified that you are in  compliance. No investigation is done.  Here’s the deal: if they tell you to change something, do so.  My personal goal is to comply while still producing interesting, attractive and persuasive materials! It’s an art form.

Advocacy should be left to private groups (a PAC) or the Friends (they can advocate in some capacity).  But they need to be separate from the library’s impartial stance. Also, as noted previously, Elected Officials are exempt from these restrictions. So, County Commissioners, Mayors, City Councilors, School Board members, The County Sheriff, The DA, or any other elected person can be an advocate for you.  They can say things like, “the librarian cannot advocate under Oregon Elections Law, but I can. Vote for this!  Libraries  are important to this community!”  Make a friend with an elected official or two who can do appearances with you or write the editorals.

Err on the side of caution. You want to focus to be on the issue, not on a controversy!  Voters are too distracted as it is! ☺

Harold, I’d  be happy to talk to you or offer advice offline.  Send me an email and we can set something up.

Eva Calcagno, Director
Washington County Cooperative Library Services
(503)846-3233
www.wccls.org<http://www.wccls.org>