[Libs-Or] State Library Newsletter: Letter to Libraries Online April 2017

Jessica Rondema jessica.rondema at state.or.us
Mon Apr 3 10:37:06 PDT 2017

Having trouble viewing this HTML e-mail? Click here<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LTLO/LTLOApr2017/Apr2017LTLO.html>

[OSL Building]
Letter to Libraries Online

A Monthly Newsletter from the Oregon State Library

Volume 27, Issue 4, April 2017

Contents:
Library Board News
State Library News
Contacts at the State Library

Vision: All Oregonians have the information essential to be engaged citizens, to strengthen our communities, and to build a prosperous state.

Mission: The State Library provides leadership and resources to continue growing vibrant library services for Oregonians with print disabilities, the Legislature and state government, and all Oregonians through local libraries.

Library Board News

State Library Board to Meet in Salem on April 19th

The State Library Board will meet at the Salem Convention Center on April 19th, prior to the Oregon Library Association Conference<https://orlib17.wordpress.com/>. The meeting will include an overview and discussion of the LSTA Grants to States Program in Oregon, approval of nominees to the Government Services Advisory Council, the post-transaction review of agency head financial transactions, and a review of the Termination of Official Recognition of Douglas County Library System. The board will also hear from OLA President Elsa Loftis. The open forum is scheduled for 12:30 p.m. Anyone may address the board on any topic at the open forum.

Return to top of page
State Library News

The State Library Will Unveil Our New Logo at OLA

[Curtains]<https://www-auth.oregon.egov.com/osl/LTLO/LTLOApr2017/CurtainsLogo.jpg>The State Library will be unveiling our new logo at our booth at the OLA Conference<https://orlib17.wordpress.com/> on April 19th. Swing by our booth to see the new logo, learn about our services, and pick up sweet swag! Don't forget to tag your social media posts with #MyORLibrary to be featured in our booth's slideshow. We want to see the wonderful work your libraries are doing!

State Library Involvement at the OLA Conference 2017

[OLAConferenceLogo]<https://www-auth.oregon.egov.com/osl/LTLO/LTLOApr2017/OLAConference2017.jpg>The State Library is especially looking forward to the OLA Conference this year. Not only will we be unveiling our new logo, but our entire staff will be attending the conference. We are taking full advantage of this wonderful professional development activity! We also have staff involved in the conference itself.

Jey Wann and Dave Hegeman will be participating in the State Library portion of the pre-conference tour that also includes the State of Oregon Law Library and the Oregon State Archives.

Jerry Curry will be speaking in "<https://ola2017.sched.com/event/9FdJ/data-driven-thriving-using-info-you-already-collect-to-improve-and-advocate-for-your-library>Government Libraries and Archives: Let's Learn How We Can Thrive Together!"<https://ola2017.sched.com/event/9Fcm/government-libraries-and-archives-lets-learn-how-we-can-thrive-together> along with Cathryn Bowie, Jane Kirby, Layne Sawyer, and Laura Wilt on Friday.

On Saturday, State Librarian MaryKay Dahlgreen will be speaking in "Data-driven thriving: Using Info You Already Collect to Improve and Advocate for Your Library"<https://ola2017.sched.com/event/9FdJ/data-driven-thriving-using-info-you-already-collect-to-improve-and-advocate-for-your-library> along with Buzzy Nielsen, M. Brooke Robertshaw, and Robin Rolfe.

And finally, Arlene Weible is coordinating volunteers and on-site registration as a member of the Conference Committee. We hope everyone enjoys the conference!

The State Library Welcomes Kathy Lawson

The State Library is pleased to introduce Kathy Lawson as the new part-time Office Assistant for the Talking Book and Braille Library. Beginning work last November, Kathy supports records management for Fund Development and our user database. Before coming to the State Library, Kathy worked as a bookkeeper/office manager for a general contractor of multi-family housing. She has experience keeping clean records, and is a quick and thorough learner with a positive attitude. She really enjoys spending time with her kids and husband, as well as horseback riding, camping, and hiking. When asked about her reading preferences, she said, "I love all things fiction and sci-fi! Oh, and murder mysteries, too." Please join us in welcoming Kathy to Talking Books at the State Library!

Tech-Talk: Weekly Tech Tips in Your Inbox

[TechTalkLogo]Announcing Tech-Talk, a weekly e-newsletter providing technology tips and communications advice. This subscription service is being paid for by the State Library and is available to all Oregon library staff via the Libs-or mailing list. Not on Libs-or? You can still get Tech-Talk by emailing Darci Hanning<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us> and request to receive it directly. Give it a spin and check out last week's issue<http://listsmart.osl.state.or.us/pipermail/libs-or/attachments/20170316/55cd9152/attachment.html>.

LSTA Grant Application Deadline Approaching

LSTA grant applications are due on April 5, 2017 by 1:00 p.m. to Ferol Weyand<mailto:ferol.weyand at state.or.us>. Proposals must be submitted via email as a Microsoft Word document or in a compatible format. The application, instructions, and LSTA grant cycle timeline are available on our website.<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/Pages/LSTA/grants/apply/index.aspx>

Return to top of page
Contacts

Oregon State Library

Library Support and Development Services: Ferol Weyand<mailto:FerolWeyand at oslmail.osl.state.or.us>, Darci Hanning<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us>, Jennifer Maurer<mailto:jennifer.maurer at state.or.us>, Katie Anderson<mailto:katie.anderson at state.or.us>, Tamara Ottum<mailto:tamara.ottum at state.or.us>, Arlene Weible<mailto:arlene.weible at state.or.us>, Susan Westin<mailto:susan.b.westin at state.or.us>, 503-378-2525

Oregon Talking Book and Braille Library Manager: Susan Westin<mailto:susan.b.westin at state.or.us>, 503-378-5435
[OSL Logo]

Government Information and Library Services Manager: Caren Agata<mailto:caren.agata at state.or.us>, 503-378-5030

State Librarian: MaryKay Dahlgreen<mailto:marykay.dahlgreen at state.or.us>, 503-378-4367

Letter to Libraries Online Editor: Jessica Rondema<mailto:jessica.rondema at state.or.us>, 503-378-5015

Letter to Libraries Online is published monthly by the Oregon State Library. It is available free of charge and is published only in electronic form on the publications page<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/Pages/publications.aspx> on the Oregon State Library's website<http://www.oregon.gov/OSL>.