[Libs-Or] Legal Reference Training: Here, Now!

Sue Ludington Sue_Ludington at co.washington.or.us
Wed Apr 5 10:27:40 PDT 2017

Oh no, don't look now...it's a legal reference question! Ack!!

Lots of us are getting nervous questions these days about immigration and civil rights laws. Or hearing sad stories about families faced with no-cause housing evictions. Or we've been on the receiving end of the rant of someone who's Had It Up to Here with a maddeningly complex court system.

How do you help? Can you help?

YES!! Library reference workers can provide meaningful assistance to patrons - without fear of engaging in the unauthorized practice of law. Sure, it takes some training (not to mention knowing your local law librarian :)), but it *is* possible!

Register today<https://orlib17.wordpress.com/register/> for "Thrive in the Hive: Working Together to Provide Exceptional Legal Reference Service"<https://ola2017.sched.com/event/9Fdp/thrive-in-the-hive-working-together-to-provide-exceptional-legal-reference-service> a half-day OLA pre-conference (Wednesday, April 19th, 8:30am-12:30pm) focused exclusively on legal reference, research, and referrals. We'll have legal professionals on hand to share their knowledge, tons of useful handouts and reference tools, along with dynamic discussion of real-life scenarios.

Guaranteed - you'll leave with a better understanding of the legal system and best ways to respond to legal questions (including the dreaded "where is this form" question!).

C'mon, sign up today! Discover how YOU can be the legal information expert at your library!

Sue Ludington
OLA Legal Reference Round Table, Chair
503.846.8880 | sue_ludington at co.washington.or.us<mailto:sue_ludington at co.washington.or.us>

PS Don't wait another minute to register - NEXT TUESDAY, APRIL 11th is the deadline for OLA conference registration! Wondering if the training's right for you? Give me a call - I'm happy to chat!