[Libs-Or] Free Training for" Wikipedia + Libraries: Better Together"

Darci Hanning darci.hanning at state.or.us
Wed Aug 9 08:04:50 PDT 2017

Greetings! This came across my inbox this morning so I thought I would pass it along:

Free course registration now open! Wikipedia + Libraries: Better Together

This fall, WebJunction will offer a free online training program for US public library staff to learn to confidently engage with Wikipedia. Wikipedia + Libraries is a nine-week course (September 13 - November 15) that includes six live online sessions, discussion forums, reading and activities. The course will provide a collaborative learning environment for public library peers to build their Wikipedia skills, implement Wikipedia programming and amplify the role of libraries as information literacy leaders in their communities.

Why Wikipedia?
Today's information-seekers expect the information they need to be online-and Wikipedia is a go-to reference source. Engaging with Wikipedia enables library staff to meet their users where they are. There is strong alignment between the missions of public libraries and Wikipedia *to increase access to quality information.

As a result of participating in the Wikipedia + Libraries training program, public library staff will be able to use Wikipedia to:

*         Engage their community members to build information literacy skills

*         Address issues and stories that their communities care about with Wikipedia

*         Raise the visibility of their libraries and their unique, local collections; and

*         Build on their own digital, critical thinking, and community engagement skills-and encourage their colleagues to do the same.

Colleagues are encouraged to enroll in the program individually, and participate together. The benefits of training with colleagues include team-building and opportunities to reinforce and apply each staff member's learning. Registration will close when the maximum enrollment of 500 is met.

Learn more<http://www.webjunction.org/news/webjunction/wikipedia-faqs.html> about the program and enroll today<http://learn.webjunction.org/course/index.php?categoryid=53>!

Questions? Please contact Wikipedia + Libraries project coordinator, Mercy Procaccini procaccm at oclc.org<mailto:procaccm at oclc.org?subject=Wikipedia%20+%20Libraries%20project>.

Cheers,
Darci Hanning, MLIS