[Libs-Or] minor patrons with bills

Kendra Antila kantila at ci.lebanon.or.us
Tue Dec 12 17:01:09 PST 2017

Hello all.  We recently had a teenager come into our library to renew her library card.  Her card had been expired for several years and had fairly substantial bills for unreturned items.  The young woman had no idea where the books were and was unable to pay for them.  She explained that she was now living in foster care.

When we looked at our current library policy we realized we had no recourse, as it states:
Persons wishing to renew their library cards must clear their accounts of lost items and overdue fines.

I approached my advisory board about some type of revision as applied to minors.  They have asked me to find out how other libraries handle situations like this.  If any of you have policies pertaining specifically to minor patrons with fines and card renewals, would you please share?

Thank you,

Kendra Antila
Director | Lebanon Public Library
Tel: 541.258.4232