[Libs-Or] Charging stations

Christina Hanson hanson.cris at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 16:49:20 PST 2017

While you mentioned reluctance about loaning out charging devices to
patrons, we've actually had a very good experience with the route we took.
At Beaverton City Library, we purchased two multi-device charging cables,
keep them in pouches at the reference desk, and check them out to patrons
with their ID or library card.  These cables can be plugged into the USB
drive of our computers or the patron's laptop, and will charge up their
phone, tablet, etc. while they are visiting us.

This is pretty close to the model we have (and I believe, pretty close to
the price we paid)- $6.99, hard to beat:

https://www.amazon.com/Vastar-Premium-Multiple-Charging-Connector/dp/B00WFNNJB2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1513902853&sr=8-3&keywords=multi+device+charging+cable

Also, we have a USB to wall adapter that we loan to patrons in the same
fashion- pretty much identical to this model (in cases where the patron
would prefer just to sit at an electroical outlet, rather than at one of
our internet stations):

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Charging-HopePow-Adapter-Samsung/dp/B071X6QR95/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1513903042&sr=1-1&keywords=usb+to+wall+adapter

We have not lost these yet, and we loan them out very regularly.  Ours do
not support any data transfer- purely charging.

Our very technical loaning procedure- the devices/cords are in pouches,
with a labelled index card (with the device/cord name on the front) paper
clipped to the pouch. We keep these in the reference desk drawer.  When a
patron wants to check one of these out, they give us their library card (or
ID), we remove the index card and paperclip, give the pouch to the patron,
and keep the library card (or ID) paper clipped to the index card in our
desk drawer until they return.  We always know which patron has which
device checked out to them.  So far, very easy on staff, and no MIA
technology.  I only know of one time when the patron did not return for
their ID at the end of the night- in this case, they had simply left the
charging cord in the computer, and we simply called them the next day and
they came and retrieved their left ID out of the library safe the next
day.

It has been so great to be able to provide this service to patrons- we were
routinely asked for this before, and now we can say yes.  When someone's
phone is out of juice, and they need to get things done, it can be pretty
stressful.  My experience at Beaverton is that the majority (but not all)
of the transactions around these devices are with our patrons experiencing
homelessness.  If we are to lose one of our cords or the wall adapter at
some point, well, the replacement cost is only $7-11 before shipping.  So
low stakes.

Hope this is useful!

Christina Hanson
Adult Services Librarian