[Libs-Or] OHQ Seeks Information about Collections open for Research

Shawna Gandy gandysl at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 15:26:30 PST 2017

In recognition of the 2018 fiftieth anniversary of the Fair Housing Act,
the *Oregon Historical Quarterly* is working with Dr. Carmen Thompson and
Dr. Karen Gibson to organize a symposium focused on housing, civil rights,
and race in Oregon. The project is broadly defined, offering an opportunity
to consider the ways legal and economic structures have dictated who is
entitled to what spaces in Oregon throughout its history. Legal right to,
or exclusion from, property-ownership and access to particular spaces in
Oregon has been tied to race since the 1843 Oregon Provisional Donation
Land Law — through, for example, processes and policies such as treaty
negotiations, the Oregon State Constitution, the Dawes (Allotment) Act, the
Chinese Exclusion Act, the 1953 public accommodations law, the 1957
fair-housing law, and the 1968 Fair Housing Act and its later amendments.
As we prepare to release our call for proposals in early February, we would
like to include references to relevant collections, particularly those that
may have been underutilized, and we are therefore asking you to share any
suggestions you may have about such materials. If you have collection
suggestions, please send information about them to Eliza E. Canty-Jones,
OHQ Editor, at eliza.canty-jones at ohs.org. Thank you!