[Libs-Or] available now from the state library

Ann Reed ann.reed at state.or.us
Fri Jan 27 16:15:31 PST 2017

This new book available for interlibrary loan from the Oregon State library

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D278B7.FDE46E00]
Hakala-Ausperk, Catherine. Renew Youself: a six-step plan for more meaningful work. Chicago: Ala, 2017. ISBN 978-0-8389-1499-1   650.1 Hakal

Unplanned careers affect everything and everyone. They can lead to frustration, negativity, and apathy at a time when we need to be focused, energized and motivated. Though your library career might have started "accidentally," you can overcome organizational restructuring, changing job titles, and shifting responsibilities by cultivating a mindful existence in the library workplace. Building on the simple and fun approach that have made her previous books bestsellers, Hakala-Ausperk offers up a workbook-style program for revisiting personal values, understanding your options, identifying skill gaps, and creating plans for growth. Whether you're a library veteran who's feeling burned out, a new LIS grad just starting out, or somewhere in mid-career, this book will

  *   introduce methods to help you examine your individual interests, desires, and goals;
  *   show you how to understand your workplace's priorities and culture, and offer tips for identifying where there's either a match or a gap;
  *   demonstrate how you can improve your current position;
  *   prepare you to move forward through the creation of a personalized strategic professional plan that addresses professional development, gaining additional experience, and other options for growth;
  *   include tips for effective self-marketing, networking through colleagues and friends, and acing an interview;
  *   present ways to stay happy and engaged in a new role or position; and
  *   offer guidance for sharing your skills and experience through mentorship, and retiring with grace.
Ideal for both self-paced study and team-based staff development, this six-step plan will help readers renew themselves, their careers, and their organizations.

If you would like to request this or other materials from the Oregon State Library please use your library's established interlibrary loan process (e.g. OCLC or ALA request form).  Otherwise, send your full name, the name of your library, complete title information, shipping address, and a phone number to the document delivery department at library.request at state.or.us<http://listsmart.osl.state.or.us/mailman/listinfo/libs-or> or (fax) 503-588-7119. Items will be checked out to your library, not to you personally, for 4 weeks (print materials) or 2 weeks (videos). Materials will be delivered via mail or Orbis Cascade Alliance Courier, and you may return them the same way. Normally a single copy is purchased and is loaned on a first-come-first-serve basis. You may be put on a hold list for several weeks.

Most library staff are able to use their library's interlibrary loan service to borrow professional development material. However, if you do not have access to these services or are not currently affiliated with a library, please contact me at ann.reed at state.or.us to discuss alternative options for borrowing the material.

Be sure to check out our Library and Information Science (LIS) blog(http://osl-lis.blogspot.com/) to discover the most recent additions to our LIS collection and search our catalog(https://ccrls.ent.sirsi.net/client/en_US/oslpublic/)for our complete holdings. The library science collection is meant to support the whole Oregon library community. Library Support and Development Services welcomes your suggestions for acquisitions - see the blog for an input form or email us!

This collection is supported in whole by the Institute of Museum and Library Services through the Library Services and Technology Act, administered by the Oregon State Library.

Ann Reed, MLS  Federal Programs Coordinator
Oregon State Library
Library Support and Development Services
250 Winter St.
Salem, OR 97301
ann.reed at state.or.us
phone 503-378-5027