[Libs-Or] Who has run a community reads program for youth?

Rich Wandschneider rich.wandschneider at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 12:11:43 PST 2017

Fishtrap has run a Big Read (NEA) program in Wallowa County for many years.
When books are appropriate (e.g. Fahrenheit 451, Our Town) high school
students often read same books, and sometimes Jr high students read same or
others. E.g., when we read Grapes of Wrath kids read Red Pony, and still
got to hear a Steinbeck biographer, go to see movie, etc.

I am including Mike Midlo and Elizabeth Oliver on this email. Elizabeth has
been coordinating the school component of the Big Read program since the
beginning --maybe a dozen years. Mike is the Fishtrap staff member now in
charge of what has become an annual program.

And here is Fishtrap Big Read page for this year’s book, The Things They
Carried:
https://fishtrap.org/for-wallowa-county/the-big-read/

Good Luck!

rich wandschneider, Josephy Library

p.s., you can often find quantities of big read or other community read
programs at low prices. Multnomah County Library once sent us a bunch of
books at low price.

rich.wandschneider at gmail.com
josephylibrary.blogspot.com/