[Libs-Or] Fwd: Update on today's hearing

ALA Chapter Councilor olachaptercouncilor at olaweb.org
Thu Jul 13 16:58:45 PDT 2017

Some good news.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jim Neal, ALA President <MemberValue at ala.org>
Date: Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 4:05 PM
Subject: Update on today's hearing
To: jones.danielle.jones at gmail.com

Having trouble viewing this e-mail? View as a web page.
<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02NzU2NjEyJnA9MSZ1PTEwMTg0NDM1MDMmbGk9NDU3ODE5MTY/index.html>
[image: ALA Membership]

Colleagues,

I am pleased to report that, this evening, the House Appropriations
subcommittee that deals with library funding (Labor, Health & Human
Services, Education and Related Agencies) voted to recommend level funding
in FY2018 for the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS, $231
million), likely including $183 million for the Library Services and
Technology Act, as well as $27 million for the Innovative Approaches to
Literacy program.

Four months ago, President Trump announced that he wanted to eliminate IMLS
and federal funding for libraries. Since then, all of us have been
communicating with our members of Congress about the value of libraries.
This evening's Subcommittee vote, one important step in the lengthy
congressional appropriations process, shows that our elected officials are
listening to us and recognize libraries' importance in the communities they
represent. We are grateful to the leaders of the Subcommittee, Chairman Tom
Cole (R-OK-4) and Ranking Member Rosa DeLauro (D-CT-3), and all
Subcommittee members, for their support.

We have not saved FY18 federal library funding yet. Hurdles can arise at
each stage of the appropriations process, which will continue into the
fall. But the fact that federal library funding was not cut at this
particular stage shows what can be accomplished when ALA members work
together. We expect the full House Appropriations Committee to vote on the
subcommittee bills as early as next Wednesday, July 19. I will send an
update as soon as we have the results of the full committee's actions.

In the meantime, I encourage you to stay informed and stay involved.
Libraries and the millions of people we serve are in a better position
today because of your advocacy.

Thank you,

[image: James Neal]

Jim Neal
ALA President

 [image: Facebook]
<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02NzU2NjEyJnA9MSZ1PTEwMTg0NDM1MDMmbGk9NDU3ODE5MTc/index.html>[image:
LinkedIn]
<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02NzU2NjEyJnA9MSZ1PTEwMTg0NDM1MDMmbGk9NDU3ODE5MTg/index.html>[image:
Twitter]
<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02NzU2NjEyJnA9MSZ1PTEwMTg0NDM1MDMmbGk9NDU3ODE5MTk/index.html>[image:
AddThis]
<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02NzU2NjEyJnA9MSZ1PTEwMTg0NDM1MDMmbGk9NDU3ODE5MjA/index.html>

If you no longer wish to receive ALA Membership emails, please click here
<http://ala.informz.net/ala/optout.asp?uid=1018443503&mi=6756612&fid=2402>.
To unsubscribe from all American Library Association communications, click
here
<http://ala.informz.net/ala/default.asp?action=u&email=jones.danielle.jones@gmail.com&mi=6756612&fid=1872>
.
American Library Association, 50 East Huron Street, Chicago, IL 60611
www.ala.org
<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02NzU2NjEyJnA9MSZ1PTEwMTg0NDM1MDMmbGk9NDU3ODE5MjE/index.html>.

[image: Informz for iMIS]
<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02NzU2NjEyJnA9MSZ1PTEwMTg0NDM1MDMmbGk9NDU3ODE5MjM/index.html>

--
Danielle Jones

*Oregon Library Association ALA Chapter Councilor *
*YALSA Hub blogger*
*ALSC 2018 Sibert Comittee*
*Teen and youth librarian at Multnomah County Library*
*My pronouns are she, her, hers*