[Libs-Or] Youth Volunteer rules

Leah Griffith leah.griffith at newbergoregon.gov
Tue Jun 6 11:24:15 PDT 2017

I just had a small sampling on youth volunteers in Oregon libraries, but it was informative.

1         Most libraries have volunteers 14 and older.   Some allow 12-13 year olds to volunteer, but limit it to the children's room and also a shorter period of time (like an hr or so).  Some require a parent to be present for the 12-13 year olds.

2         Parents need to sign for all volunteers under 14.   The city/county determines if they are background checked.  For many it's when they are 16 or older that a background check is required.

3         A few libraries have volunteers under 12, but the reality is the parent is the official volunteer and the kids come with mom or dad.   The parent is background checked, but the kids are also listed as volunteers and get name tags.  But again, the parent is the "real" volunteer.

A couple people mentioned that youth volunteers are always interviewed and they require them to actually answer the questions, not the parent.  They want to make sure the child really wants to volunteer, that it's not the parent.

It was useful to just see how some others are managing the youngest volunteers.  It will be part of our decision making.   Thanks for sending your input.

Leah
Leah M. Griffith,  Director
Newberg Public Library       503.537.1256