[Libs-Or] Quote Turned Prophecy

Harold A. Hayes hahayes at co.douglas.or.us
Fri Jun 30 09:18:38 PDT 2017

Just a final goodbye on the last day for DCLS remaining staff...

And a quote...

I received the fundamentals of my education in school, but that was not enough. My real education, the superstructure, the details, the true architecture, I got out of the public library. For an impoverished child whose family could not afford to buy books, the library was the open door to wonder and achievement, and I can never be sufficiently grateful that I had the wit to charge through that door and make the most of it.
Now, when I read constantly about the way in which library funds are being cut and cut, I can only think that the door is closing and that American society has found one more way to destroy itself.
I. Asimov: A Memoir (1994), Ch. 8, Library

And a very heartfelt 'thank you' to everyone around the state for your concern and support...

Harold A. Hayes
Library Director
Douglas County Library System
1409 NE Diamond Lake Blvd.