[Libs-Or] Weeding Insights

Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney kbrodbeck-kenney at lincolncity.org
Wed Mar 8 17:31:46 PST 2017

Hi Eryn,

You've gotten really great advice! My other recommendation would be to start with the sections that are most embarrassing if there's something super outdated in them. The 900s (assuming you're using Dewey) are a REALLY good place to start; when I took over as director, my collection had mostly been weeded for circulation, but not so much for content. Consequently, I found books about East and West Germany still on the shelf, as well as several African nations that no longer exist, and some wildly inappropriate books on Native Americans. It's also good to give your health titles a good going-over, since these are also books that can be damaging if the information is outdated.

I would be tempted to do a big weed just to really clear out the collection, but I can understand not wanting to leave shelves empty. So, I would focus first on making sure that the books you have on your shelves aren't actively harmful, and then go from there.

Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney, MLIS
Library Director
Driftwood Public Library
801 SW Highway 101 #201