[Libs-Or] weapons info

Buzzy Nielsen Bnielsen at crooklib.org
Fri Mar 17 14:06:10 PDT 2017

Hi everyone,

In case you’re curious, I did also clarify that, in addition to the weapons I noted before, Oregon law also considers mace/pepper spray and stun guns to be weapons for the purposes of being forbidden in public buildings. Jurisdictions can adopt policies locally to allow their employees to carry mace.

Also, I had an error in the first answer when I referred to what cities and counties can regulate when it comes to firearms. Counties and cities (notably not special districts) can “regulate, restrict, or prohibit” people from carrying loaded firearms in public places, which ORS 161.015 defines as “place[s] to which the general public has access and includes, but is not limited to, hallways, lobbies and other parts of apartment houses and hotels not constituting rooms or apartments designed for actual residence, and highways, streets, schools, places of amusement, parks, playgrounds and premises used in connection with public passenger transportation.” So the power is a bit broader than what I said, but I’m sure there are limits, so consult with legal counsel before acting on that information.

Cheers!
Buzzy Nielsen

Library Director
Crook County Library
175 NW Meadow Lakes Dr.
Prineville, OR  97754
bnielsen at crooklib.org
(o) 541-447-7978 x301
(m) 971-270-0527

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE - This e-mail may contain information that is privileged, confidential, or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you are not the addressee or it appears from the context or otherwise that you have received this e-mail in error, please advise me immediately by reply e-mail, keep the contents confidential, and immediately delete the message and any attachments from your system.