[Libs-Or] Women of Library History - Amanda Rudd

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 12:27:40 PDT 2017

Amanda Sullivan Rudd, the first female and first African-American
commissioner of the Chicago Public Library, passed away on February 11,
2017 at the age of 93. Rudd served as the commissioner for CPL from 1982
until she retired in 1985. Prior to her appointment as CPL commissioner,
Rudd served CPL as assistant chief librarian, community relations and
special programs (1975), deputy commissioner (1975-1981), and acting
commissioner (1981-1982). According to the *Chicago Tribune*, Rudd was a
mentor to numerous younger colleagues at CPL, including eventual Librarian
of Congress Dr. Carla Hayden. Hayden, in a letter to Rudd’s daughter, said,
“Amanda was a trailblazer in the library field and I benefited greatly from
her guidance during my time at the Chicago Public Library.”

More at
http://womenoflibraryhistory.tumblr.com/post/158633825270/amanda-rudd

--
*Diedre Conkling*

*Lincoln County Library DistrictP.O. Box 2027Newport, OR 97365Phone & Fax:
541-265-3066Work email**: **diedre at lincolncolibrarydist.org*
<diedre at lincolncolibrarydist.org>
*Home email: **diedre08 at gmail.com* <diedre08 at gmail.com>

“If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change
your attitude.”―Maya Angelou