[Libs-Or] The latest issue of the OLA Quarterly is now available! Second Notice

Charles Wood wuchakewu at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 20:09:30 PDT 2017

The latest issue of the OLA Quarterly is now available!  This is a second
notice to increase the readership of the articles that the authors worked
on for a long time.  Individual articles are listed below.

The theme is Critical Librarianship, and the Guest Editor is Elsa Loftis,
Director of Library Services at the Oregon College of Art and Craft past
president of the Oregon Library Association.  From Elsa’s introduction, “So,
what does critical librarianship mean, exactly, and how is it practiced? To
think about this, we look at librarianship through a lens of critical
theory and understand that there is a certain amount of activism implied.
To embrace critical librarianship means that you believe that libraries
should work for social justice (and figure out ways to actually do that
work). Critical librarianship also invites library workers to consider how
our institutions and our roles have enforced or at least complied with
systems of oppression, both in the past and now.”

Full issue: http://commons.pacificu.edu/olaq/vol23/iss2/

<http://commons.pacificu.edu/olaq/vol23/iss2/>

Introduction by Elsa Loftis, Oregon College of Art and Craft.

http://commons.pacificu.edu/olaq/vol23/iss2/3/

But how do we *do* Critical Librarianship, by Kelly McElroy, OSU.

http://commons.pacificu.edu/olaq/vol23/iss2/4/

Letting Our Values and History Guide Us: Inspiration for Libraries from
Myles Horton, by Annie Downey, Reed College.

http://commons.pacificu.edu/olaq/vol23/iss2/5/

Working Class in the Library, by Bob Schroeder, Portland State University.

http://commons.pacificu.edu/olaq/vol23/iss2/6/

Critically Interrogating Oregon History in the Archives: Spanish Heritage
Learners in the PCUN Records, by David Woken, University of Oregon.

http://commons.pacificu.edu/olaq/vol23/iss2/7/

Storytime Can Be Social Justice Time, by Natasha Forrester Campbell,
Multnomah Public Library.

http://commons.pacificu.edu/olaq/vol23/iss2/8/

Critical Library Management: Administrating for Equity, by Candise Branum,
Oregon College of Oriental Medicine, and Turner Masland, PSU.

http://commons.pacificu.edu/olaq/vol23/iss2/9/

We hope you like it!

Cover image: Rebecca McCorkindale. NLA President 2019.

https://hafuboti.com/2017/02/02/libraries-are-for-everyone/

Reading tips:  The text is clearer if you download the articles to a .pdf
reader.  The table of contents and links are live and clickable, depending
on your .pdf reader.

Thank you,

Charles Wood

OLA Communications