[Libs-Or] Civics for Adults workshops for 2018

Donna Cohen dcohen at dcoheninfo.com
Wed Oct 25 11:14:42 PDT 2017

"The most important political office is that of the private citizen."
Justice Louis Brandeis

Hello all,

I'll be at the coast this weekend for three workshops - Sat at Siuslaw PL
and Sat/Sun at Coos Bay. Hope to see some of you there.

Meanwhile. I have several workshops scheduled in the new year that I wanted
to mention. Plus, I am looking at a possible workshop "loop" trip to
southern/central Oregon. I have a request from a library in southern Oregon,
so if your library is on the route from Eugene to Medford, or up in the
central Oregon area, e.g. Bend, Prineville, let me know if you have an
interest in workshops. Thanks.

Here is the schedule so far. Below this is the description of all the
workshops.

Citizen Activism 101 - Making Change Happen

Want to improve life for yourself and your neighbors or have a concern about
local, state or federal laws? Learn about strategies for change, and more:
Brief historical perspective; Examples of successful
advocacy-local-national; Choosing your battles; Who makes the rules?;
Getting heard: tools for change; "Tracking" state and federal legislation.

Weds. Jan. 24   6:30-8:00   Sherwood Public Library  22560 SW Pine St,
Sherwood

Tues. Jan. 30   7:00-8:30   Lake Oswego Public Library  706 4th Street, Lake
Oswego

Thurs. Feb 15   7:00-8:30   St Helens Public Library  375 S 18th, St helens

Thurs. April 5   700-8:30   Silver Falls Library  410 S Water, Silverton

Misinformation, Fake News and Political Propaganda

We are overwhelmed with messages from politicians, news sources and other
media. Learn to distinguish truth from fiction using critical thinking
strategies. The workshop uses real world examples of political ads, news
headlines, graphs / charts, the effect of word choice in messaging,
statistical data and other types of information in a "what do you see here?
/ what is missing?" format. The last part is about finding accurate
information. The goal is to help people become their own "factchecker".

Thurs. Mar. 8   7:00-8:30   Silver Falls Library  410 S Water, Silverton

Sun. Mar. 18   2:00-3:30   McMinnville Public Library  225 NW Adams,
McMinnville

Descriptions:

Misinformation, Fake News and Political Propaganda

We are overwhelmed with messages from politicians, news sources and other
media. Learn to distinguish truth from fiction using critical thinking
strategies. The workshop uses real world examples of political ads, news
headlines, logical fallacies, graphs / charts, the effect of word choice in
messaging, statistical data and other types of information in a "what do you
see here? / what is missing?" type of format.

The last part is about finding accurate information. The goal is to help
people become their own "factchecker".

Citizen Activism 101-Making Change Happen

Want to improve life for yourself and your neighbors or have a concern about
local, state or federal laws? Learn about strategies for change, and more:
Examples of successful advocacy; Brief historical perspective; Choosing your
battles; What matters to you?; Who makes the rules?; Getting heard: tools
for change; "Tracking" legislation

The Influence of the Constitution on Political Conversation

By looking back at the creation of the Constitution we puncture some myths
and develop a broader perspective on its significance - perspective that
helps us evaluate current political events more thoughtfully.

Beyond Voting: Elections and Campaign Financing

This is a unique workshop covering 20 topics related to our electoral
systems and presenting specific ideas for bi-partisan civic/political
engagement. Topics:

Voting as Constitutional right(?), Voter Rights, Voter Fraud, Voter
Registration, Voter Turnout, Felon voting, Instant Runoff Elections,
Redistricting, Superdelegates, Electoral College, National Popular Vote,
Campaign Financing, SuperPACS and 501(c)4s, Contribution Limits, Dark Money,
Disclosure, Elected Officials Time Spent Fundraising, Public attitudes about
Money in Politics, Oregon's Campaign Finance Database, Public Financing of
Elections

Donna

Donna L Cohen, MEd, MLIS

Portland, Oregon

503-737-1425

citizen at civicthinker.net

Civics for Adults Workshops: To Enhance Civic Knowledge and Inspire
Political Engagement

Keep up-to-date: Facebook:
<https://www.facebook.com/Civics-for-Adults-1490728887922036/>
https://www.facebook.com/Civics-for-Adults-1490728887922036/  and/or let me
know if you want to be on the Civics email list.