[Libs-Or] Curious Researcher 9th ed. rental only?

Grant, Zachary zgrant at clark.edu
Tue Sep 26 09:30:40 PDT 2017

Person Publishing has significantly changed how students can get the new 9th edition Curious Researcher at Clark College.

What we know so far:

Students can only rent the new 9th edition Curious Research from the Clark College bookstore, they cannot purchase it.
Rentals must be completed with a credit card; cash is not allowed.

These restrictions seem to purposefully limit students options toward owning and reselling the book. It also places a barrier to access for students that don't have a credit card.

We would normally purchase a couple copies of the newest edition from the bookstore for our Course Reserve and reference collection. The current limitations prohibit us for purchasing from the bookstore, but we are not sure if these limits apply from other vendors.

Has anyone else had this happen at their college or university? If yes, how are you handling it?

Best regards,

~Zachary
Zachary Grant
Reference & Instruction Librarian