[Libs-Or] Civics Workshops - Fall 2018

Donna Cohen dcohen at dcoheninfo.com
Wed Aug 22 10:34:08 PDT 2018

Hi everyone,

Hope you're staying cool!

Quite a full schedule this fall including several workshops in Washington
State. Interesting differences in election systems between Oregon and
Washington!

Elections and Campaign Finance

Tues. Sept. 18    6:00-7:30   West Linn Public Library 1595 Burns Street,
West Linn

Thurs. Sept. 20    7:00-8:30   St Helens Public Library 375 S.18th St, St
Helens, Or

Weds. Sept. 26    6:30-8:00 Battleground Community Lib. 1207 SE 8th Way,
Battle Ground, WA

Weds. Oct 3    7:00--8:30   West Slope / Garden Home Comm. Libs. 7306 SW
Oleson Rd. PDX

Sat. Oct. 6    10:00-11:30   Three Creeks Community Lib. 800-C NE Tenny
Road, Vancouver

Sat. Oct. 27    3:00-4:30   Oregon City Public Library 606 John Adams St.,
Oregon City

Covers numerous topics related to our electoral systems and presenting
specific ideas for bi-partisan civic/political engagement. Topics: Voting as
Constitutional right(?), Voter Rights, Voter Fraud, Voter Registration,
Voter Turnout, Felon voting, Alternative Methods of Determining Winners,
Redistricting, Electoral College, Campaign Financing,  Dark Money, more.

The Influence of the Constitution on Civic and Political Conversation

By looking back at the creation of the Constitution and tracing major
changes to its interpretation we puncture some myths and develop a broader
perspective that helps us evaluate current politics more thoughtfully.

Fri. Oct 19   4:00-5:30   Three Creeks Community Lib. 800-C NE Tenny Road,
Vancouver

Misinformation, Fake News and Political Propaganda

Sat. Sept. 15   10:00-11:30 Three Creeks Community Lib. 800-C NE Tenny Road,
Vancouver

Sat. Oct. 24    6:30-8:00 Newberg Public Library  503 E. Hancock  St.,
Newberg

Sat. Nov. 17  3:00-4:30   Oregon City Public Library 606 John Adams St.,
Oregon City

We are overwhelmed with information. Learn to distinguish truth from fiction
using critical thinking strategies with political ads, news headlines,
graphs / charts, language choice in messaging, statistical data and other
types of information. Become your own "factchecker".

Citizen Activism 101 -Making Change Happen

Fri. Sept. 28   4:00-5:30 Three Creeks Community Lib. 800-C NE Tenny Road,
Vancouver WA

Sat. Nov. 10   3:00-4:30   Oregon City Public Library 606 John Adams St.,
Oregon City

Improve life for yourself and your neighbors? Learn about strategies for
change, and more: Brief historical perspective; Examples of successful
advocacy-local-national; Choosing your battles; Who makes the rules?;
Getting heard: tools for change; "Tracking" state and federal legislation.

"The most important political office is that of the private citizen."
Justice Louis Brandeis

Donna

Donna L Cohen, MEd, MLIS

Portland, Oregon

503-737-1425

citizen at civicthinker.net

Civics for Adults Workshops: To Enhance Civic Knowledge and Inspire
Political Engagement

Facebook:  <https://www.facebook.com/Civics-for-Adults-1490728887922036/>
https://www.facebook.com/Civics-for-Adults-1490728887922036/  or contact to
be on Civics email list.

"My philosophy is very simple. When you see something that is not fair, not
right, not just - stand up, say something, speak up!" Rep. John Lewis.
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6lzPpqc2WY>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6lzPpqc2WY