[Libs-Or] Letters to Libraries Online

Eva Luna Eva.Luna at state.or.us
Tue Dec 11 13:41:44 PST 2018

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D49147.7C086EE0]

Letters to Libraries Online
The State Library News - Volume 28 Issue 12 - December 2018

[cid:image003.jpg at 01D49147.7C086EE0]

[cid:image004.jpg at 01D49147.7C086EE0]

Digital Highlights:
Celebrating Oregon's State Tree, the Douglas Fir

For the month of December, the State Library has curated a collection of documents, photographs, and videos in celebration of one of our state's most fascinating flora - the Douglas fir. The Douglas fir was granted official Oregon state tree status in 1939. In the time since, it's undergone a scientific name change, served as the logging backbone for the Oregon and greater Pacific Northwest economy, and landed in homes across the country as a Christmas tree favorite, second only to the Noble fir.

We've also included publications on general forestry in the collection. Everything from tree first aid and pest control, log brand directories, and tree identification; because in considering even a single tree species, one must consider the entire forest.

To learn more about the Douglas fir and the forests it lives in, visit our digital highlight<https://digital.osl.state.or.us/islandora/object/osl%3Adigital_highlights_featured>.

[cid:image005.jpg at 01D49147.7C086EE0]

How Have You Used Oregon Documents?

Here at the State Library of Oregon we are putting out a call to let our users know in what ways materials from our collection have been used.

Have you ever used items from our Oregon Documents Collection (OrDocs) for a project in your library, a research request from a patron, or for personal use?

If so, we would love to hear about it, and potentially get your permission to highlight and share your work with our constituents.

Please contact the Oregon Documents Department with your stories at:
oregon.documents at state.or.us<mailto:oregon.documents at state.or.us>.

We can't wait to hear about the ways you've used OrDocs in your work!

Get Ready for SAT/PSAT, ACT and AP Tests with
LearningExpress Library

College test preparation materials can be hard to find in libraries at certain times of year, but you can give students 24 x 7 support by pointing them to the practice tests and other resources available from LearningExpress Library.

Check out the upcoming dates for the various tests and consider a social media campaign to promote the College Preparation Center with LearningExpress Library.

[cid:image006.jpg at 01D49147.7C086EE0]

SAT                      Mar. 9, 2019
                              May 4, 2019
PSAT                    Oct. 16, 2019
ACT                      Feb. 9, 2019
AP TESTS            April 13, 2019
                              May 6-17, 2019

To create a direct link on your library's webpage to College Preparation materials, use the following URL pattern:

https://www.learningexpresshub.com/college-preparation-center?AuthToken=[specfic<http://www.learningexpresshub.com/college-preparation-center?AuthToken> token for your library]

If you need assistance with links or have any other questions about
LearningExpress Library, please contact Arlene Weible, 503-378-5020.

2019 LSTA Grant Application Materials Now Available

The FY2019 LSTA grant application window is open! Applications are due to the State Library on Feb. 1, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. Those who would like input by the LSTA Advisory Council and the Library Support and Development Division staff may submit a draft of their application by
5:00 p.m. on Dec. 14, 2018.

More information, along with grant application forms and instructions, is available at: www.oregon.gov/Library/libraries/Pages/competitives.aspx<http://www.oregon.gov/Library/libraries/Pages/competitives.aspx>.

If you have any questions about the grant process, please contact Ross Fuqua at ross.fuqua at state.or.us<mailto:ross.fuqua at state.or.us> or 503-378-5027.

[cid:image007.jpg at 01D49147.7C086EE0]

Congratulations to the winner of Answerland's
Outstanding Service Award!

[cid:image012.jpg at 01D49157.406FAD70]

Valerie Florez, Answerland volunteer, is the winner of the 2018 Answerland Outstanding Service Award.

Valerie is an exemplary volunteer, serving on both the Answerland Advisory Committee and the Quality Team. She has applied several times for an ExxonMobil Individual Volunteer Involvement Program grant for Answerland, resulting in awards of more than $4,000.

[cid:image009.jpg at 01D49147.7C086EE0]

Valerie goes above and beyond through her dedication to improving quality, providing leadership, and growing the service.

Thanks Valerie for your hard work!

Tech-Talk:Weekly Tech Tips in Your Inbox

[cid:image010.jpg at 01D49147.7C086EE0]

Tech-Talk is a weekly e-newsletter providing technology tips and communications advice.

This subscription service is being paid for by the State Library and is available to all Oregon library staff via the libs-or mailing list.

Not on libs-or? You can still get Tech-Talk by emailing Darci Hanning at darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us> and request to receive it directly. Check out some sample newsletters and then give it a spin by signing up!

[cid:image011.jpg at 01D49147.7C086EE0]

Library Support and Development Services:
Ferol Weyand, Darci Hanning, Jennifer Maurer, Ross Fuqua, Tamara Ottum, Arlene Weible, Susan Westin, Greta Bergquist

Oregon Talking Book and Braille Library Manager:
Susan Westin, 503-378-5435

Government Information and Library Services Manager:
Caren Agata, 503-378-5030

Interim State Librarian:
Caren Agata, 503-378-5030

Letter to Libraries Online Editor:
Jacqui Krawetz, 503-378- 4244

Letter to Libraries Online is published monthly
by the State Library of Oregon.

To unsubscribe from libs-or, either send an 'unsubscribe' message,
or visit the website.

All materials may be reprinted or distributed freely.

Mission: The State Library provides leadership and resources to continue growing vibrant library services for Oregonians with print disabilities, the Legislature and state government, and all Oregonians through local libraries.